We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights three days in march

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
292 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Two nights three days in march

Hi...I am considering spending some time in Squamish at the end of March. It would be March 28th to March 31 and we are coming from Vancouver with our own car. I am wondering what weather is typically like at that time...will we be able to do some simple hikes at lower elevations? Enjoy the outdoors (touring, scenery, wildlife, hiking) or will it still be too snowy or wet? I was thinking it would be less hectic to spend time there rather then just do a day trip from Vancouver. Am also considering somewhere on the Sunshine Coast but would prefer to be in the mountains if possible. Mom and college aged daughter...daughter is in college in Seattle so we are driving to Vancouver and doing a few days there and then would like some quiet nature time! :o) Originally from Miami, Florida

Open to any advice and reco's . Thanks in advance

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights three days in march

I often fish the area for Steelhead at that time weather is a very mixed bag but no snow in the valley bottom-low level hikes should be easy as is mountain biking.

Cool little spot for brekkie.

http://www.sunwolf.net/fergies/

One of the Best Japanese restaurants in BC

http://www.sushisensquamish.com/

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
292 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights three days in march

Thanks SamSalmon! I guess we will play it by ear then! Any suggestions for spots to stay? Budget is a factor. Too bad my son isn't with us...he has fished in Vancouver Island and Banff in the past years and I would love for him to have had that experience...another time!

I know its a different area but would you think the Sunshine Coast might be a better spot at that time of year for what we are looking to do?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,132 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two nights three days in march

Hikes to higher elevations will have you run into snow. Most people can't imagine it and don't take proper gear. Even on a June day on the North Shore mountains, someone goes hiking in shorts and sneakers, get lost and have to spend the night in very uncomfortable and tricky conditions.

Alice Lake Trail might be perfectly fine, Brohm Lake doesn't open until April. Murrin Lake Loop is open from February. The Vancouver Trails website may be helpful:

https://www.vancouvertrails.com/

Take the 10 essentials if you go hiking around Squamish. Ask at the Adventure Centre for current trail conditions. Or email them if you need to know which destination to choose. The following link has a toll free number and an email address: exploresquamish.com/about-squamish/the-squam…

10 essentials: northshorerescue.com/education/what-to-bring/

And how to stay alive. It's always a good idea to prepare well, to stay safe in the mountains: northshorerescue.com/10-ways-to-get-yourself…

Reply to: Two nights three days in march
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Squamish
More Squamish Topics