We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Garibaldi

Sept Iles, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Garibaldi

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Vancouver in August. We are thinking of doing some hiking in Garibaldi park. From Vancouver, should we just take road 99 straight to Squamish/Whistler and then back? Or take an extra day to make a loop via highway 1? My plan is to spend 3-4 days in the area. More precisely my questions are:

- Does highway 1 to Lillooet offer nice landscapes? If so, where to you suggest I stay along highway 1?

- Where is the best place to stay near Garibaldi park? Looking for evenning pubs if possible.

- If we don't take an extra day to drive the 1, are 3 nights/4 day too much for Garibaldi area?

We are looking for hiking, road or easy mountain biking, sightseeing, rain forest, mountain viewing. After Garibaldi we will be heading to Vancouver island for about 8 days.

I'm open to all your ideas.

tks!

Isabel

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

I'm afraid I can't answer many of your questions, only to suggest that your idea of taking the extra day and driving from Lillooet down the Fraser Canyon along Highway one back to Vancouver is a good one. The Fraser Canyon is spectacular and if you have the time, I would urge you to take it in.

Are you familiar with the movie Rupert's Land? Sam West is in it, one of my favorite British actors. The plotline revolves around two half-brothers, one Canadian living in BC the other British living in the U.K. Their father, living in Prince Rupert, has died, and the British brother is flying to Canada for the funeral. The two brothers meet in Vancouver and drive to Prince Rupert. The movie itself is full of Canadianisms which makes it a real delight to watch, but one scene I found particularly funny is when they are driving up the Fraser Canyon, and the British brother insists on all these stops so he can photograph the "magnificent" views of the river! I had to laugh, having experienced the same thing with relatives from Europe! And then I stopped laughing and realized that yes, the scenery really is magnificent! I would definitely take that extra day. I would hope someone could recommend somewhere to stay in Lillooet, that's the logical place. The drive back to Vancouver from Lillooet without stops is only about four hours or less, so it would make for a lovely long pleasant day to take your time wandering down and making several stops like at Hells gate, the Alexandria bridge, Yale, the Othello Tunnels at Hope etc

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Thecircle drive is fun and scenic. Even better if you rent a convertible. It can be done in a day, so one overnight stop can suffice. Maybe two if you stay one in Whistler. How about an overnight stop at https://kumsheen.com/ followed by a river rafting expedition?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Agree with Alegre that it is worth doing the circle route. The other question if you do so is whether you go up Hwy 12 along the river and approach Lilloet from the south or, a bit more time consuming but beautiful, go along Hwy 1 to Cache Creek, up Hwy 97 about half an hour, then across Hwy 99 (The Pavilion Lake Road) and come down the river to Lilloet from the north. (you can get an idea of the distances on Google maps). If you do the latter, you will almost certainly need/want to spend the night in Lilloet rather than pushing on to Whistler so perhaps consider a night in Whistler as Alegre suggests.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,975 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

This is a good board for hiking, but you do need to know the name of the specific trail you want to do, which you may have to find from another resource. They also have a hikers forum, so it might be a good place to get advice from hikers regarding accommodation close to trail heads, etc

www.clubtread.com/Routes/ByRegion.aspx…

You will also find the good people at Tourism Squamish responsive to your questions I expect. Most of the tourism centres are pretty good about responding to questions.

http://www.exploresquamish.com/explore/hiking

Sept Iles, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Thank you all for your reply. Sounds as if the loop it will be! I heard though that the sea to sky drive (Whistler to Vancouver) is more scenic going sount? So I would be doing the loop counterclockwise with two stops, one of which Whsitler to have an extra day or two for bike riding and hiking.

I didn't see Rupert's land but am thinking I will act as an Europeen ;-) although we're from quebec.

thanks again!!

Isabel

Squamish, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Hi Isabel, it's Peter here from the Visitor Centre in Squamish.

The drive through the Fraser canyon up highway 12 to Lillooet is amazing. Stop off at the Hell's Gate Airtram. You can stay at one of the hotels in Lillooet or Pemberton.

As for accommodations in Squamish, You can't get closer to a pub than staying at the Howe Sound Inn, they have a brewpub built into their hotel.

Some great road rides would be out Paradise valley road and back or Squamish Valley Road. As for Mountain biking we have almost 100 miles of single track here in town so I am sure we can find some suitable trails for you.

Up in Garibaldi you can't go wrong with the hike to Black Tusk and Helm Creek for stunning views and wildflowers as far as the eye can see.

Come visit us at the Adventure Centre and we can help out with further details

Sept Iles, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Thank you for your suggestions Peter! I will enter those in my planning :-) I was hoping the adventure center was where we could rent bikes but didn't see that on the web page?

Squamish, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Yes Sea to Sky Adventure Company rents bikes from out of the Adventure Centre, They will be opening their doors May 1st.

Sept Iles, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Tks for the information!

Sept Iles, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to Garibaldi

Hello,

I'm having second thoughts about Whistler vs Sqamish. I feel Squamish is less expensive and might be as good a base to explore Garibaldi park? We would be driving from Lillooett, staying 3 nights in Whistler or Squamish and heading to Vancouver island afterwards.

On the drive from Lillooett we could maybe fit a treck at Whistler? Then have two full days for Garibaldi.

thoughts?

Isabel

Get answers to your questions about Squamish
More Squamish Topics