We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

Which North Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PERTH, aUSTRALIA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

We are an Australian family of seven hoping to do a canoeing trip in August Bowron Lakes. Unfortunately August is full and we are left with July1-10 or Sept 4-13 what would anyone advise. Alternatively another canoeing trip with a different organisation or any other suggestions gratefully received.

Jeanette (kimbia)

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

Pros and cons for both time lines.

July = warmer, longer daylight hours, probably more bugs, probably less critters to see(will be higher up in elevation).

Sept = cooler, may have frost, shorter daylight hours, less bugs(maybe none), critters may start showing up, fall colors on deciduous may start

Here is the link for a resort in the area, contact them for added info

http://www.bcadventure.com/bowron/

You must also stop in to view the historical Barkerville site as you will be in the neighbourhood.

http://www.barkerville.ca/default.htm

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

September definitely, cooler Yes but you'll see fewer people and wildlife viewing opportunities increase.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

I would choose Sept over July for all the previous stated reasons. Sept is still warm and the leaves will start changing. Plus the fall colours look spectacular against the sunny blue skies.

Although - I have been up there numerous times and have seen critters regardless of the time of year (less in the winter). The most incredible sighting was a sow grizzly with triplet cubs – (triplets are extremely rare). The last time I saw them that year was the end of June. I have seen other grizzlies, black bears and moose in July as well so I would not rule out July for critter sightings.

Sea to Sky provides guided tours. An alternative guided tour provider is Pathways.

http://www.bowronlakes.com/

The last time I was in this area Bowron Lake Lodge did not provide guided tours – only canoe/cabin rental packages/provisions/and trip planning. An alternative to Bowron Lake Lodge is Beck’s Lodge.

http://beckerslodge.ca

If you want a guided tour and Sea to Sky or Pathways cannot accommodate you might email Bowron and Becks to see if they know of a local tour guide that is available. Also ask them their opinion regarding the best time for animal sightings.

You are in for a spectacular trip. The Cariboo is one of my most favourite areas of BC. Enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,799 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

I'm having a few concerns about your choice of the North Vancouver forum. This is a bit like posting on your Kensington forum for travel to somewhere similar to Kalgoorlie. Now, you will pick up helpful info from those who watch the more comprehensive BC forum. That one includes all the subforums in the province. But the problem with putting it on the North Vancouver forum (only 7 topics!) is that it's too small and those who watch the Vancouver forum will not see it. But my main concern is that you might think we are quite close to Bowron Lakes? (They are about a 10 hour drive from Vancouver.)

You will very likely have more questions before the summer, so my suggestion would be to post on the Vancouver forum, the Victoria one, or the British Columbia one especially for your interests in the Interior. You'll get wider exposure.

And my vote is for September.

Edited: 13 February 2010, 04:51
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

"You will very likely have more questions before the summer, so my suggestion would be to post on the Vancouver forum, the Victoria one, or the British Columbia one especially for your interests in the Interior. You'll get wider exposure."

The question-any question-about BC shows up on the BC Forum, probably on the Canada Forum too.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

Muftimix – the confusion regarding the forums may be caused by the location of Sea to Sky expeditions. I believe they are located in the lower Mainland and yes – the OP may think Bowron is close to Vancouver. Good point.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,799 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

That's true, Sam. All BC city forums show up on the BC forum (and the Canada forum). However, if a local or a visitor only uses the Vancouver forum, a North Vancouver forum post will be missed. That's my only caution.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

Either July or September will be fine, although July will have lots of mosquitos whereas as September will have few, if any. Nights will be chilly either month as you are up in the mountains. Don't worry about crowds as the park limits the number of paddlers on the circuit. Enjoy your trip - the Bowron Lakes are spectacular!

9. Re: Sea to Sky Expeditions Bowron Lakes British Columbia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 14:17