We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Hike in Royal National Park

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

Hi,

I am currently in Wollongong and want to visit the Royal National Park for about half a day this week. Am unsure whether to do a hike from Otford or Bundeena, as I will be arriving by public transport and don't have a car. I am most interested in the coastal walk - is one end particularly more scenic that the other? Would I reach a beach in a couple of hours starting from either end? It would be easier for me to start from Otford as I won't have to take the ferry and will have more time in the park, but any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
42 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

I prefer the walk from the otford end to the camp ground... Is it at south era? Sorry it has been a while since I did it. You could easily go there and back in a day walk as it is the shorter leg. Maybe only 7km each way I think. From bundeena you need to walk through the residential area and then up onto the bluff which is my least favourite part of the walk. The views are nice from this part but it is really exposed.

Edited: 6 years ago
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
42 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

Sorry just checked and the camp ground is at North Era, not South Era. Depending on how far you want to walk you could press on to Garie Beach which is lovely. Its around 10km each way from Otford. Please be really careful about swimming at unpatrolled beaches. Garie is sometimes patrolled. Maybe only summer weekends??

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
153 reviews
186 helpful votes
3. Re: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/royal-national-park/otford-to-figure-of-eight-pools-via-burning-palms.html

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
153 reviews
186 helpful votes
4. Re: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

Concentrate on the Otford end. You'll spend too much time commuting otherwise, and views are just as good from southern end.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
22,363 posts
201 reviews
454 helpful votes
5. Re: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

To get to the Bundeena end you have to do trains and the ferry… not worth it.

Go to Otford and do the walk from there.

You could do the Werriong beach track (note this beach is dedicated for nudists but often no one is there) and Palm jungle loop.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Save

Thanks so much for all your responses, I shall endeavor to go from Otford if it stops raining! I shall let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

Reply to: 1 Hike in Royal National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Royal National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.