We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park

Marikina...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

Hey everyone! I am just about to embark on a month-long trip to Australia, and I'd like my first stop to be the Royal National Park.

Is it possible to commute (public bus/train) from the airport to the RNP? I will arrive in Sydney at 11am and my plan is to go immediately to RNP, then leave for Sydney CBD around 4pm.

Will that be a good plan?

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
19 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

"Will that be a good plan?" - Probably no.

www.transportnsw.info gives directions. It involves 2 trains, a bus and a 3.5km walk. Estimated time 1hr, 47 mins. That seems to get you to Audley, so it depends on where you are planning to go and what you want to do when you get there.

The return is the same, but that walk will be mostly uphill.

Say you're out of the airport by 12 noon, then almost 2 hours to Audley - and then what? There's not much to see there. It will be dark by 5pm, if you're planning to come soon. Leave by 4pm, and a long uphill walk as it gets dark.

And you've really seen nothing of the National Park.

Not a great plan in my book. You really need a car to get to the best parts of the National Park. What places piqued your interest?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,678 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

Good points by Jack.

You also don't want to be lugging your luggage around with you if you're going straight from the airport.

Where about in the CBD are you staying? We may be able to come up with better ideas that you can do by public transport on your first day. Like dump luggage st accommodation and go to Manly and do a bit of the Sydney Harbour NP

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
35 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

Agree not a good plan - you really need a car to access the RNP and at least a full day (it's now our winter and sun sets at 5pm so short days).

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/royal-national-park

There are many walks much closer to Sydney eg Bondi to Coogee, Taronga Zoo to Balmoral, Spit to Manly etc etc.

http://www.wildwalks.com/walks

https://www.sydneycoastwalks.com.au/bondi-to-coogee-walk/

Edited: 3 years ago
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
16,451 posts
125 reviews
58 helpful votes
4. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

You can also get a train to Cronulla (via Central) and catch the Bundeena Ferry ... Bundeena is a tiny town on the edge of the park, there are numerous treks starting from and returning to the ferry stop.

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/royal-national-park/bundeena-to-marley-beach.html

Tasmania, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
37,522 posts
67 reviews
303 helpful votes
5. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

You don't need to go to Central railway station. You can start your trip at Wolli Creek which is asserted to be within walking distance of Sydney Airport. Wolli Creek and Cronulla are on the same railway line (T4).

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
153 reviews
186 helpful votes
6. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

Hire a car for the day and do it properly. There's a lot more than Audley( the least untouched area of the park), all completely impossible without your own wheels.

It makes a great day's outing, emerging from the park at Stanwell Tops. You could visit Symbio Gardens while you're at it, and feed kangaroos.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
19 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

I'd forgotten the Cronulla and Bundeena Ferry option.

It all depends on what you have in mind for the National Park. The OP hasn't seen fit to come back and tell us.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,149 posts
83 reviews
83 helpful votes
8. Re: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Save

As well as Sydney Harbour, there's Lane Cove National Park, Garigal, Davidson and Ku Ring Gai, Bobbin Head National Parks - all closer to the centre of Sydney and easier to access via public transport than The Royal. In addition, there are a multitude of nature reserves and conservation areas within the City or Sydney. Any particular reason you want to go to The Royal NP?

Reply to: Sydney International Airport to Royal National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Royal National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.