We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to masirah island via sur

Nice, France
5 posts
Save Topic
trip to masirah island via sur

Hello and greetings from Germany !

We want to drive from muscat along the coast to sur, spend one night, and the next day to masirah and are getting very contraversery opinions on that trip, and it seems impossible to get a decent road map on that area;

Apparently there is no good road along the sea from sur to masirah and one has to make a long detour to join the main road to the south highway (number ?) and may not reach the ferry boat in time, as we are told they stop at 3 h in the afternoon.

Can anybody advise how long this trip from sur to masirah might take ?

Is it a better suggestion to sleep in one of the desert camps (i.e. Wahiba sands) ? Or go simply directly on the highway ?

That is planned for the return to muscat; how many hours would that drive

take ?

We are looking forward for some helpful replies to our queries

With thanks and kind regards

Laura

17 replies to this topic
Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

There is full black top roads from Sur to Mahoot (where you catch the ferry to Masirah).... you will be scooting down the coastal road with desert on one side... sea on the other. From sur you need to make your way to Ashkarah... either via Ras al Jinz road, or Al Kamil road.

Shouldn't be to much more than 2-3hours drive... the roads can be pretty empty when outside of the townships.

Development in Oman is continuous and fast, so new roads are being built and changed all the time... You will find if it is not tarmack it will be a fairly good condition gravel road... quite possible tarmack the next time you visit.

But I can 100% say that you have tarmack all the way to Mahoot... i drive to Ras al Ruways very frequently.

ENjoy.

Rebecca

London, United...
Level Contributor
743 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Do not take the ferry on the first day of any publuc holiday unless you are prepared to fight for your place in the queue....

At other times it's usually quiet

Nice, France
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Thank you very much for your replies and advice.

There seems to be no problem till Ashkara; then the road seems ok till Qurun or even Khuwayma, then unpaved road till Abu al Karish, ok, but from there to Ras al Ruways our maps show empty space - no road at all. (Is this the Al Ruways where you go ? As there is another Ruways much further up north of Ashkara) This is what we derive from the roadmaps, but to hear it's all tarmack sounds promising.

Here we were told the ferry starts in Sanah; I had heard of Mahout before,but I cannot detect it on any map....crazy

We plan to travel in the first half of december; so hopefully no holiday concerning the ferry!

Kind regards

Laura

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Hi Laura

I can promise you it is tarmack all the way down the coast - Ras al Ruways is about 70km south of Quroon, which is south of Al Ashkarah.

I drive this road every two weeks... the tarmack has been in place for 4years now.

Best to pick up a new map as you arrive here... roads and development is so fast here that maps internationally almost struggle to keep up.

Good luck

Rebecca

Edited: 28 November 2012, 06:09
Nice, France
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Hello Rebecca,

I am very grateful - and relieved - for your confirmation of good road condition to masirah, and thanks for the advice to pick up a recent map at arrival, as ours seem really completly outdated, considering the fast changes in oman. But at this end it is practically impossible to get something decent/recent.

So the idea to visit a still unspoiled island (that's what we hope at least) seems less crazy and we are very much looking forward to seeing the place before the masses break in.

We travel to oman since quite some years and stayed 5 times in Salalah which we really love and where we will go to again after our trip to masirah.

Many thanks again and all the best to you

Laura

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Hi,

We are also planning to go to Masirah from Sur but can't find any coastal road either on maps or Google Earth or guides. Can you confirm it is possible, without a 4wd, to follow the coast between road 35 and the ferry terminal ?

Thanks !

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Yes, there is a wonderful tarmac road all the way from Sur to Mahoot where you catch the ferry to Masirah - just as the above messages confirm! It is a beautiful journey - you drive by the Wahiba Sands with sea on the other side.

There is also a tarmac road all the way around Masirah so you can travel with 2WD with no problems.

Enjoy your trip!

Muscat, Oman
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Hi, I am new to Oman, two months now. Found a map EXPLORER ( I think it was in Sultan mall/center), have all the roads you wrote about. One question concerning: "There is also a tarmac road all the way around Masirah so you can travel with 2WD with no problems". Is it possible to ride a bike there, I have a road bike not an MTB. Thnx. Brgds, Kresimir.

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Hi, yes, I guess you can cycle around Masirah! The road is black top and it goes around the edge of the island - and crosses the centre around half way down through a gap in the mountains, so it's actually relatively flat, so there should be no problem. You won't encounter many bikes though, so take care of cars - there aren't too many but they're not used to sharing the road with bicycles so you have to be double aware because the drivers won't be!

It can be some distance to get from the road to the beach in some places - the sand is soft so you wouldn't be able to ride over it probably - but there are enough places where you are fairly close. It's quite a wild place, beautiful for the fact that not much habitation outside of the main town (so if you're riding, take water and everything else you need as you won't find much by way of shops outside of the town).

Have a great time in Oman, you have a lot to explore!

Muscat, Oman
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to masirah island via sur

Hi, than you for immediate reply. Yes, drivers are not use to bikes, that's why I wear many colors, orange back pack etc. Thnx again.

Reply to: trip to masirah island via sur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masirah Island
Recent Conversations