We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Totally disorganised due to working too hard in the lead up to this trip

No Car - will be relying on Uber (Best place for a sim card?)

Staying in Hillside Heights - walking distance to VA? Hopefully

Day 1 Nov 24th Going to Kirstenbosh for a concert Day 1 (24.11)

Day 7 Friday 30th Nov - 50th Birthday........NO PLANS - HELP!!

Love live music, concerts, markets, beaches, wine, food

Not interested in a Safari

Any suggestions most welcome!

10 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,457 posts
623 reviews
1. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Hi

Seem to remember you had quite a few suggestions for your birthday a while ago?

But on a Friday night, you will have to book the more popular places and pretty soon.

Uber is fine for getting around the city. But if you want to do Cape Point and Boulders Beach, Chapman’s Peak etc, then I suggest that you hire a driver for the day or join a tour. It’s also well worth doing on your first trip to Cape Town.

A two day ticket for the Hop on Hop Off bus may be worthwhile too.

If you want to do Robben Island, then it’s probably best to precook the tickets, as it is often full if you just turn up.

Don’t forget Table Mountain either but I’m sure you won’t as you will see it as you are landing!

Best place for a SIM is probably the waterfront, plenty of mobile phone shops to choose from their. Sounds like you are staying close to there. Don’t forget your passport and accommodation confirmation. They may not ask for the latter but sometimes they do.

Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Thank you ;) Yes I checked out all the birthday suggestions but not into cabaret so they were dismissed and some places just weren’t right atmosphere or location so still struggling with that one as don’t want to be traveling miles on the night of my birthday and want atmosphere x

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

1.9 km from V&A Waterfront and 2.7 km from Long Street.

So its an easy walk from Greenpoint to the water front BUT at night I would take an Uber

You must remember that Table Mountain is a National Park so that would be considered as a Safari as it stretches from Table mountains right until the point. There are animals on the mountain I nearly stood on a puff adder once ( long time ago) Plus caracal and Dassies .etc etc .

Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Thank you.? Would you recommend an organised tour to table mountain?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,457 posts
623 reviews
5. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

You don’t need to do a tour for Table Mountain. Either Uber, taxi, use Miciti bus extension of HOHO.

You can walk around the top, there are several routes.

Did you check out my suggestions? Like Lou Lou’s in De Waterkant.

There’s also dancing at HQ in Heritage Square on a Friday evening. Lots of decent restaurants around there for a birthday dinner first.

There is something on at Cafe Roux on Shortmarket Street on 30th Nov, but don’t really know what you’re looking for!

If you like markets, I recommend Oranjezicht City Farm market in Granger Bay near the waterfront on a Saturday or Sunday.

The Harbour Market at Hout Bay is also worth visiting on a weekend

Edited: 13 November 2018, 09:34
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,365 posts
6. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

You have nearly two working weeks before you come. You still have plenty of time to organise stuff!

First of all lots of good news. The two weeks that you are coming to the Cape are, IMO, average year by year, two of the very best weeks to come. The winter rains are finished - and good news this has alleviated the major drought that we had last summer. The dams are now over 75% full - plenty of water for the summer now arrived. But everywhere is lovely and green and fresh. The gardens and parks are in flower. As is the countryside in the areas a couple of hundred miles around. The weather is usually not too hot - mid to high 20s, with no or little rain and low humidity - lovely. However Cape Town is still relatively uncrowded and cheap. On December 12th all this changes. The schools break up for the Christmas/New Year and Summer holidays all rolled into one. Many companies also close down. Hordes of families and couples arrive from Johannesburg and the cities of the north for their annual vacation. Add to this hundreds of thousands of international tourists arriving to escape the European and North American winter. Cape Town, literally overnight, becomes stretched at the seams. Restaurants are full, everything is booked, prices rise, everywhere is crowded - and it gets hotter! But the last week in November/first in December is wonderful!

So all good - and more! Hillside Heights is a great location. Close to the city and just a few metres to Green Point Main Road. On a slightly quieter stretch, but a couple of hundred metres in either direction and there are lots of good cafes, restaurants and bars. The Waterfront is actually very close across the road, but to walk you have to cross a couple of very busy roads and you need to go a bit of a roundabout way to a big underpass, but only about 15 mins walk. If you booked this apartment at short notice for this time, you did good!

The block also has free parking. Which brings me to my main point. I would NOT - I repeat strongly NOT, plan to stay in Cape Town for two whole weeks without a car. For a few days you would be fine you can get around with Uber. There is also, as Lisa says, an excellent, comfortable and cheap bus service around much of Cape Town (although not all areas - and right now they are on strike - hopefully not in two weeks time!!). The nearest bus stop is about 50 metres walk from your apartment. But the attractions of the Cape are not just in Cape Town City Centre. The city is spread out over a big area. The metro is over 100kms from North to South. Many places to go, even around the city, are a long way away. You will want to go from one to another - certainly not on fixed, expensive tours. Then in 14 or 15 days , even if you come back to the city every night, I would suggest you take lots of day trips. Once you get outside the city, the roads (especially coming from the UK) are excellent and largely traffic free. A day's drive of 300 or 400kms is stress free and easy - we do it all the time. Although fuel prices have recently risen they are still MUCH less than in the UK or virtually anywhere else in Europe.

Personally I would pick up a car at the airport and drop it when you leave. You're saving money from the first minute on airport transfers and taxis. Once you start adding in day tours the cost racks up really quickly. And you have so much more freedom and flexibility for your whole holiday, day and night. Are you too late to rent a car - absolutely not. Prices are much cheaper than in the UK - where I rent cars at least a couple of times a year. Prices, as I say don't go up until after December 12th - and availability disappears.

I would always book (even when I am here in Cape Town) through a UK car hire consolidator. They will find the best deal with an International Major for your dates and preference. Right now the best that I can see is via Discover Car Hire for a rental direct with Hertz. Personally I don't rent the smallest car group but an Economy (VW Polo, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai i20 or similar). Unlimited Mileage and all standard insurances Not sure of your times but 10am November 24th to 7pm December 8th from Cape Town Airport (BA direct flights) costs total £125.74 or just over £8 per day.

https:/…Discover-Car-Hire-Cape-Town

If you want to extend the insurance to cover the excess amount and tyres, windscreen etc. Don't do this either with Hertz or Discover. You may already have annual excess coverage yourself. I use Insurance4CarHire -

https://www.insurance4carhire.com/

Even for a single hire this would be cheaper than the rental extension and it covers you for unlimited hires for a year anywhere in the world except USA - where litigation and medical costs are just unreal!

Anyway that's my recommendation - Hire A Car!

If you do that then I and others will give you lots of suggestions where to go all over the Cape for days out. To the beautiful Winelands, Hermanus and Walker Bay for the last of the Whale Watching season (and more wine), up the West Cost for long, lonely, gorgeous beaches, small inland country villages to while away the day, lots and lots and lots of great hikes - and much more. You wont be bored!

You still have plenty of time - and you're sure to have a great time in this wonderful city!

Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
7. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Thank you so much for all your amazing advice, really appreciate it ;)

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
236 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Hi

Whilst here you should visit the Route 44 market in Stellenbosch which is open on weekends. Its a great market with good food, wine and live music.

Welcome to our beautiful city.

Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
9. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Sounds perfect thank you ;)

Level Contributor
67 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!

Thank you - checked out Lou Lou’s but nit right for Birthday night as Asian food is not too if the list. Will check out that area though thanks and looked at cafe roux itinerary last night. Finally booked Kloof Street house for the Birthday meal and understand there are places for drinks nearby. Thanks for your help ;)

Reply to: Arrive 24 Nov - 2 weeks, no car, No itinerary - Please Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted