We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

Japan
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

Where are the best places to see Tabletop Mountain from a distance?

I was in Cape Town years ago and went to the top of the mountain.

I never had the chance to travel out of town to see those beautiful views I have seen of the mountain, to see that indeed "flat table top" from a distance.

I have plans to visit Cape Town again, and this time I want to go to a place from where I can see the flat table top.

Where do you suggest I go for a good view? And how can I get there?

Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

The best place would be the beaches at Blouberg . you can then see the mountain from across the Table Bay ( that's the one you usually see On documentaries Its only30 minutes away from the city centre You take the N1 north then take the turn off to Milnerton ( R27) and you will have good views from then onwards Plenty of parking along the beach front

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
2. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

It was several years ago but we went on a sailboat (with crew) out of one the docks near the V&A waterfront and had fantastic views of table mountain with and without the table cloth from the water.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
284 reviews
3. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

Echo wanderingattorney. There are some really nice sunset cruises you can do around Table bay which gives you exactly the views you are looking for. This may also be easier if you don't have your own vehicle as the boats depart from the V&A.

Japan
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Those sound good. Since I don't plant to drive, the Table Bay cruise might be an easier option, but there is time to consider.

Actually, I will be arriving by cruise ship so I might automatically be able to catch a "table top view" from the ship if it arrives in the day. LOL!

To me, Cape Town and the Stellenbosch area is one of the most beautiful places on earth I have ever seen. I have always wanted to see that scenery again, so I am looking forward to this next visit.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

You can easily catch a My citi bus from the V&A or the civic centre right up to Tableview( blouberg) and even one that goes to Melkbos Plenty of places to find some lunch

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

You will surely get a brilliant view when docking in the harbour or getting into the table bay. Alternatively I can suggest to travel to Signal Hill and for this location you do not have to leave that far from the city centre of Cape Town. And if you are fit to do so, you can also hike up Lions Head for a sunset view as well as a view of table mountain.

All the best!

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours & Safaris

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

Definately recommend a sunset cruise - we even saw a shark fin passing by just to add to the adventure !

South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

@paula C, I have also heard that the sunset cruises are the best way to see table mountain

I am planning on booking one of these trips when a few German friends of mine are in the city over Christmas.

Who did you book your tour with? I have narrowed it down to these boat trips departing from the V&A Waterfront, but not sure which one to go with - https:/…

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

Hi Megs

We literally went down to the Harbour on the day, booked a boat we liked and we came back later - I couldn't tell you the name of the Company but the boat was a yacht. It was an amazing evening and i had to pinch myself watching the sunset going down.

We have an amazing picture of the four of us in front of Table Mountain which has pride and place on our wall.

Enjoy !

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")

If you want to see Table Mountain with a flat top, like the first sailors saw it, you must get at least about 15km to the north (Robben Island, Blouberg, Melkbos). The harbor boat cruises do not go that far out.

Curiosly, you can drive the same distance to the south and see some of the flat top from the other side, looking over Hout Bay, from the road above Kommetjie.

Reply to: Best place to view Table Top Mtn? (Not best "view from")
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted