We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation with own water supply

hawkes bay
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Accommodation with own water supply

I'm so sorry for the awful situation in the Western Cape. My heart goes out to all of you affected now and in the coming days.

I feel callous asking but we flyin into CT late March and are considering whether to stay or simply fly domestically straight out again after landing. We are spending time in Durban for the last part of our holiday anyway (16 years since we lived in Africa and this is a big holiday for us) but CT was the jewel in the crown of our vist. We can live without showers, flushing loos etc but for peace of mind, we really would like to stay in accommodation that has it's own water source..... I have been trying to find places that state this on airnbnb, tripadvisor, booking.com but only super expensive places come up.

Can anybody help/recommend please? Helpful and friendly answers gratefully appreciated

6 replies to this topic
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation with own water supply

Hi Hawkes. My children are coming from overseas to us in Cape Town from the last week in March till the first week in April. I wouldnt think of telling them to cancel. In fact my daughter has just sent me a message asking if it will spoil her holiday and I said no it wont. We just hope and pray that ALL Capetonians would just try and save water and not use more than we should i.e. 50 l a day. My husband looked at the dam levels today (on the internet) and worked out that IF we all stick to 50 l. a day per person water should last IF we have NO rain for another 4 months in other words till May (end). Lots of people including myself feel that the Government is just putting the fear of GOD into us so that we will use what we should and not use more. There are NO places that will have their own water supply. SOME might have facilities for "grey water" , in other words water to flush the toilets with when they clean etc. COme and enjoy.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation with own water supply

I am not sure about CT, but normally in outlying areas (and not only there) where there is no municipal supply, private houses and establishments have got their own borehole.

Maybe something to search for on google. Just a thought.

Klaus

-Hazyview-

hawkes bay
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Accommodation with own water supply

Thanks, found somewhere lovely and very different to what I was originally planning. And with own borehole

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
4. Re: Accommodation with own water supply

HawkesBayChesh that sounds interesting. What did you find and where is it .

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
5. Re: Accommodation with own water supply

Have a look at my post: "What will happen on Day Zero should it come.". An interesting read

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,483 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Accommodation with own water supply

I posted on the Forum earlier that Cape Cadogan and its next-door sister property, More Quarters, have their own bore hole. They are right in the heart of Cape Town. They are sharing their water with nearby neighbors, too.

Edited: 04 February 2018, 08:09
Reply to: Accommodation with own water supply
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted