We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
552 posts
4 reviews
prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Hi there

We are travelling at the end of June and I wondered do we need to pre book these trips? I am slightly reluctant to book incase we change our minds and want to go earlier or come back earlier or later in the day. Att he same time I beleive there are limited seats on these hydrofiols?

Lipari to Vulcano and return

Lipari to Panerea and return.

thanks

Lynette

12 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,264 posts
1. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Ferries are large and don't require pre-booking, and especially between islands and not wekend.

Liberty Lines recommends pre-booking for hydrofoils.

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
552 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Hi Vagabonda

I have now booked all our ferries except the one Lipari to Vulcano

Just before i do that I just wanted to see you advice on how long we need to allow to go to Vulcano for a day trip? I understand at the beginning of July it will be very hot and well as smelly with limited shade. My concern would we would prebook the return leg but wanting to come back earlier. Or the opposite that we want more time than I have allowed.

We are wanting to do the Volcano, the mud baths and have a swim. If I need to prebook the return trip do you know if we can go on a later or earlier hydrofoil if we decide we have done all we wish to do?

Roughly how long does it take to do all the things we have mentioned? I was thinking to go at 8am say and return at 2pm..

Thanks again as usual...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,264 posts
3. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Hi meijunhappy,

Many arrive here with a schedule, but after a day or two fall into a relaxed pace of doing things.

Hopefully you will as well.

You could easily spend a day on Vulcano.

It might take a bit longer if very hot to climb the Gran Cratere. It's perhaps a 20-minute walk from the port. Bring water and protect from the heat and sun.

I respect the radioactive properties of the Laghetti di Fanghi, and avoid.

But Vulcano's beaches are Bandiera Blus, 2018 as well, and delightful.

www.bandierablu.org/common/blueflag.asp…

There's sufficient ferry and hydrofoil services, as well as so many private boats and excursions that it's not necessary to book now.

Vagabonda

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
4. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

It is possible to do all you want to accompllish in the time frame you`re thinking, assuming you are in reasonably good shspe. I have done it myself a few times. It is nice to spend a bit of time enjoying the lovely view once up on the crater rather than thinking about the hydrofoil schedule. Altho Vulcano is popular my guess is that you would be able to snag a return hydrofoil ticket after hiking and before your swim. You will be passing close by the ticket office on the way to a swim after the hike anyway. Besides you may enjoy a snack or aperitif at Stevenson's bar before the hydrofoil departs

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,264 posts
5. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Yes, it is possible, and you would appreciate the flexibility.

See how your day evolves, and how much you're enjoying your experiences.

The view from Gran Cratere is mesmerising, the sea, the Eolie, the crater.

Don't miss the beach.

Vagabonda

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
6. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Ciao Vagabobda!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,264 posts
7. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Ciao luckyduck52,

It's always great to see you posting here!! :-)

V.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
552 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Hi Vagabonda and Luckyduck

thanks for that. Yes i would rather buy a ticket on the day back rather than being tied to ferry schedule. That was why I wanted to get an idea of it the hyrofoils get fully booked.

thanks for your thoughts

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
552 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

Just checking... when I search on the web it seems it is only liberty lines operating ferries between Lipari and Vulcano. Is this correct?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,264 posts
10. Re: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea

The hydrofoils could fill, but as indicated, there are ferries, and even private boats, although more expensive.

Perhaps you might consult the ferry schedules for your intended day of travel and then decide what you would prefer.

Vagabonda

Reply to: prebooking ferries between lipari Vulcano and Panerea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted