We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Lake Tahoe

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Lake Tahoe

Hi

We have been fortunate to vacation in California many times but have never been to Lake Tahoe.

We will fly in to Vegas,first stop will be Death Valley and then on to Mammoth Lakes and then Lake Tahoe.After that I would like to visit King's Canyon and Sequoia N P en route to our R & R destination of Palm Springs.

One of our main objectives is to hopefully see wildlife.

Any thoughts/hints/tips to help with an itinary.

We have 10 days between arriving in Vegas to arriving in Palm Springs

Thanks as always

Roscoe

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Lake Tahoe

That sounds like a very nice trip. You don't mention what time of the year your trip is planned, and it is a big deal if your are traveling in the winter. Assuming it is non winter, some highlights to see along your drive north on Hwy 395 include: Mono Lake- at least check out the visitors station. Bodie- great preserved old mining town. Carson City- the capital of the state of Nevada and some interesting museums , trains etc. The drive along this section of Hwy 395 is very scenic and a pleasure to drive. However, in the winter this can be a very difficult and even dangerous drive.

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Lake Tahoe

Sorry I should have said .........Early October.

Can you give me any ideas of driving times and distances round the lake bearing in mind we will head for Kings Canyon when we leave the Tahoe area.

Hopefully we should be able to miss the snow ?

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Lake Tahoe

Early October should be great time for this trip. I usually drive that area in early October to view the fall colors. If your lucky, you might see some of this. The drive from Mammoth Lakes to South Lake Tahoe only takes about 3 hours, but you don't want to rush the trip.

A complete drive around Lake Tahoe is about 75 miles. (I think you are asking that).

On your drive from Lake Tahoe, the fastest route would be to take Hwy 50 west to Sacramento to Hwy 99 and south to Visalia and into the park. A more scenic drive would be to take Hwy 89 at Meyers to Hwy 88 and then over to Hwy 99. There is not a lot to see and do in the San Joaquin valley, so you may just want to limit your time in this area.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Lake Tahoe

The fall is my absolute favorite time in the mountains. Days can still get quite hot, but the mornings are very chilly.

5. Re: First time to Lake Tahoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 21:18