We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

I read the Top question post on weather and understand in May the weather is still cool. I was browsing through some older post today and there was quite a few DE suggesting it may not be a good idea about coming in May (with the implication the weather is still cold) - better in June.

At this point I plan to come around after the 18th May and I'm beginning to worry after reading those posts it may not be such a good idea. With Toronto its okay as spring appears to arrive earlier than in QC and Montreal. Would it really be that cold that its not comfortable walking outside all day or am I just being paranoid at this stage?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,960 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

Giraffez

I wrote on Victoria Day on one of your other post, the weather and the vegetations change dramatically then, I would even say over the week-end as the leaves grow very quickly.

So no worries then. Might be iffy sometimes but what place in the world has no iffy temperatures now?

Starting with Niagara Falls and Toronto is a good strategy you could then proceed to Montreal, then Qc and then Charlevoix if you are going that far.

As I also wrote our spring is really short (less than a month) and in mid June it can already be hot and sticky, particularly in Montreal where thermal inversion happens frequently. So for me, in Mtl this is the best period of the year from Victoria Day week-end to Formula One Grand Prix in June.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

< am I just being paranoid at this stage? > maybe yes! Coming from Australia where you are used to hot hot weather may let you think that Quebec and Montreal are in May and June in the cool side but for them starting at mid-May it is great! Sidewalk cafe will be open and you can also have <canicule> very hot weather for a few days. But now with weather really difficult to predict.

Went in the end of May in Nice Côte d'Azur and had to buy warm clothes.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

Thanks rickb and whitesoneny for confirming my paranoid situation :D

Rickb, yes I did read your comment about vegetation changing quite quickly and that was what prompted me searching TA older post about the weather. The fact it changes so quickly i was paroniod to the point where snow in May also crossed my mind... haha but i quickly waved that off. Too bad I miss the ice hotel as I'm travelling in may.

I have no thick winter coats (being in australia never gets that cold), i have a very light goose down jacket which is as thick or warm as any of my wardrobe gets. I did go to rockies to Banff, lake louise, whistler etc a couple of Mays ago and it was quite cold but not freezing, nice weather actually. Hopefully the weather will be quite similar.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

Hi Giraffez,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM.

Well May is still Spring… June is beginning to feel a lot more like Summer (remember we told you, we kick off Summer as of Victoria Day Weekend late May). May is an ok time to visit, June is better, and July & August are always best weatherwise.

The QUEBEC TRAVEL PAGES – and the TRAVEL GUIDE says that the averages for that time of year are Highs of 60 F and Lows of 42 F… I also took a look at the Government of Canada’s Official Weather Office info at Environment Canada, and here are their statistics for May Averages…

MAY

Average Daily Temperature = 11.2 C (52 F)

Average Daily Maximum Temperature = 17.1 C (63 F)

Average Daily Minimum Temperature = 5.3 C (42 F)

Extreme Maximum Temperature = 33 C (91 F) = May 29, 1978

Extreme Minimum Temperature = -7.8 C (18 F) = May 8, 1947

Environment Canada – Quebec City Airport Weather Averages = …weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

OR

Environment Canada – Quebec City Airport Weather Averages = tinyurl.com/EnvCan-QCityAirportAverages (foreshortened because sometimes TA won’t support lengthy Website Addresses)

The link the Environment Canada Website will give you data for every month of the year, so you can easily see why we consider June (Daily Average = 16.5 C), July (Daily Average = 19.2 C) & August (Daily Average = 17.9 C) to be better picks.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

Thanks all. Paranoia it was!

Canada here I come.....!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

Quebec City is a great placee to visit and May a good month to do it before the 'tourist invasion'. It can get quite crowded in July and August and the prices do seem to go up in eating establishments.

I reccommend the Clarendon Hotel for a good meal (usually has a table d'hote menu for reasonable price for kunch or dinner) and elegant surroundings.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

You will be ok with your light goose down jacket, along with a sweater and a scarf (handy for cool drafts of wind) that you can remove or add according to weather. Now stop worrying :D

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

hahah I'll try

9. Re: A visting in mid or late May -is the weather still too cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 18:17