We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

Madison, Wisconsin
7 posts
Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

I'm driving from Burlington VT and am apprehensive about bringing my car as I've heard that parking is a big hassle in Old Quebec and want to avoid that. I don't mind using public transportation and walking while I'm there.

So some ideas I had were either to drive to Quebec and leave my car parked in a lot or drive to Montreal and do the same, and take the train into Quebec. Driving to Montreal would shorten my drive time and give me a chance to let someone else drive (this is a cross country trip with many legs to the journey.)

At this point I'm open to either option so input on either would be appreciated.

Do you know of any safe, preferably covered, long term parking lots in either Montreal (near train station) or in Quebec outside the old city but near it that I might consider?

Thanks!

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,442 Reviews
from USD 90.10*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
908 Reviews
from USD 45.10*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
709 Reviews
from USD 24.28*
13 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,956 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

Parking in QC is only a problem if you want street parking. There are lots of parking lots and a few that are reasonable cost for 24 hrs. It is easy driving even in the Old Town as with the narrow streets; you have to go slow.

for locations of parking there is https://en.parkopedia.ca/parking/quebec/… site also covers most large cities.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

I think it would depend on how long you want to stay in Quebec City and what you want to do there. We drove there in the summer of 2017 but only stayed for a couple of days as we accompanied family members that were stopping over with children on a longer trip to the Maritimes. We all stayed at a hotel outside the city core (closer to the aquarium) that included a large feee parking lot. The one day we went into the old city we drove and paid to park for the day. But if you’re planning on only staying in the old city and seeing things there, then you really don’t need a car with you. But I think it might still be cheaper to drive there and park in a long term lot. Then you can also go out to Montmerency Falls, etc.

Madison, Wisconsin
7 posts
3. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

Thon, thanks. Yes, I'll just be there for a few days. What was the name of the hotel you stayed at. I like the sound of your plan...

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

You should drive to Quebec City. There are plenty of parking lot. Paying extra for the train doesn't make too much sense to me.

Having a car will allow you more flexibility.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,956 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

hi

if you want to go out in the evening; the cost of parking in the old town will make up for free parking and eliminate the hassle of getting back to a hotel near the Bridge/Aquarium. There was a post last year about getting overnight parking for $18.00

there was also a post about how to take advantage of staying near the bridge as someone had booked a hotel using reward points and want info about how to best see the old town from there.

Madison, Wisconsin
7 posts
6. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

Thank you!

Madison, Wisconsin
7 posts
7. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

Thank you for your opinion. I think that's what I'll do.

Madison, Wisconsin
7 posts
8. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

Thank you so much for this resource.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,956 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

@ann

FYI

the reply button does not attach to a post - any button does the same so best to only use one then add and ID of the poster using @xxxx to address different posts if needed.

Have a great day

Madison, Wisconsin
7 posts
10. Re: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?

@cbarrch Got it. Thank youl

Reply to: Park in Montreal and Train to Quebec? Or Drive to Quebec?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted