We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments in Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
6 posts
Save Topic
Apartments in Montreal

Can anyone recommend nice apartments up to 4 people for Jan.

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments in Montreal

Hi PoetW,

Welcome to the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM

And I see that you are Brand NEW to TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Assuming, that you are looking for a short-term Vacation Rental… and not more permanent accommodations (TripAdvisor does not permit discussions on this TRAVEL Website about Relocations etc)… we can certainly point you in the right direction and give you some valuable feedback to whatever you do find…

Private Rentals here in Canada are just beginning to become more popular… that said there can be some issues to these types of accommodations…

The most obvious being that you may not end up with what you signed up for… photos and description not matching what you found on the Internet… although this can happen with ANY listing website… it is more prone to occur if you’ve sourced your accommodations thru on-line classifieds… such as Kijiji or Craig’s List etc

Which brings up the whole other aspect… being scammed entirely… unfortunately there are folks out there willing to take advantage of Travellers who are vunerable in that they do not know the city… local laws etc… there have indeed been Travellers who have found sadly they had NO RENTAL AT ALL… that some unscrupulous person over the internet has taken off with their money !!

For more info on that be sure and read this past topic entitled *The Danger of Craigs List Apartment Rentals* = tripadvisor.ca/…30918658

The Province of Quebec to combat some of these issues (New York City I understand is also doing the same thing)… now requires that ANYONE renting out accommodations must be licensed and registered… and that the property is inspected. This is to protect both the Renter and the Rentee… but more than anything else to ensure that the Traveller has a good (and fair) experience when visiting Quebec.

Registered and Licensed Properties are recorded with the Corporation de l’Industrie Touristique due Quebec (CITQ) and can be found on their website = www.citq.info or by calling them at 1-866-499-0550

So… although you can search a variety of sources… local Newspapers (*The Montreal Gazette*) – Kijiji – Craig’s List – AirBnB – GOOGLE for Montreal Short-Term Apartments – etc… I suggest that you begin your search for accommodations using a reliable Vacation Rental Website.

VRBO = Vacation Rental by Owners has a good reputation... and so does TripAdvisor's sister website FLIPKEY

At least in the case of FLIPKEY, it is my understanding that the properties have all been vetted thru FLIPKEY so as to ensure what is presented on-line infact both exists and is accurate. They also have a "code" system to ensure that all the REVIEWS that are posted to their Website (as well as here on TA) are genuine, while still being able to maintain the anonymity of the TA Member.

I have used the services of FLIPKEY myself for a past Vacation Rental (NY State) and was quite happy with both the process and the short-term rental accommodations that we had. I would not hesitate to use them again, or recommend them.

There is an assortment of FLIPKEY accommodations that can be found here on TA linked to the TRAVEL PAGES for each Destination (TRAVEL PAGES are the buttons to the left of this screen)… look for the listings under HOLIDAY RENTALS

Once you find a Rental that would fit your needs (no matter where you source the info from), I STRONGLY suggest that you come back here to the MONTREAL FORUM for more input… we can tell you if the property is well located, and we can also check the CITQ Website for you (which is mostly in French) to see if the property is a legal one.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 10 October 2011, 22:55
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments in Montreal

Is the rental for one month or more? If it is for less than a month then the official list is at http://goo.gl/QUlIH on BonjourQuebec.com where there are 51 listed, inspected and licenced properties. You can also use websites like flipkey, VRBO etc but be aware that the property may not be properly be licenced or inspected.

For stays over a month, the rental isn't considered a vacation rental, there are no standards and no taxes to pay.

San Jose, California
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments in Montreal

Im looking for 10 days rental accommodation for my vacation.

Will check BonjourQuebec now.

Thanks so much

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments in Montreal

Hi PoetW,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments in Montreal

Check kijiji.ca, select Montreal, vacation Rentals, province of Quebec, city of Montreal. You will find plenty of condos that rent for short stays. You can try also Craigslist Montreal.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments in Montreal

The Philips Square hotel is a very nice hotel that has spacious rooms and full kitchens. The location is also perfect, waking to th eOld Port and right in the heart f the city.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments in Montreal

@Kent2780 why not just point them at the scammers, too. Craigslist and Kijiji are both full of them. We've seen a few cases on here and I certainly have heard from my guests. Like showing up at an address after leaving a deposit, only to find out that the address doesn't exist, the money has disappeared and the phone, disposed of.

There is a reason why the government regulates these things and websites hold escrow between the renter and the leasee.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartments in Montreal

TravelAdvice.. have you ever rented through kijiji and craigslist ? These are major sites for classified adds and have hundreds of listings. A lot of the condos and cottages that are on bonjourquebec and chaletsauquebec advertise there. You have to asks for referrals, pictures. If the owner is legit he will be more than happy to give you all the information you are asking for.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartments in Montreal

TO KENT2780,

<< TravelAdvice.. have you ever rented through kijiji and craigslist ? These are major sites for classified adds and have hundreds of listings. A lot of the condos and cottages that are on bonjourquebec and chaletsauquebec advertise there. You have to asks for referrals, pictures. If the owner is legit he will be more than happy to give you all the information you are asking for. >>

True enough...

BUT... these are but one source...

Far more helpful IMO would be to point out that it might be nice to narrow down the field and let someone know that there are Websites here in Canada / North America that specialize in the types of Accommodations the Traveller is seeking.

Even nicer... is to go the extra mile and give out info that presents the fewest number of issues for a Traveller to deal with (hence the info on how to find LEGAL Accommodations... and that there is infact a Difference... and that using a Registered Property means as a Consumer you have some protections in place)

I know I'd certainly hope for the same sort of TIPS from others on TA if I was posting in another FORUM planing my own vacation to some place I'd never been to before.

"Don't bother starting at A... use B... because you can more quickly narrow down your choices... as A lists everything under the sun and not just specifically what you are looking for... and B is more specialized... or better yet use C because they've already done all the vetting for you"

Speaking from the Travellers perspective...

I know when I am doing research on TA... it does me little good, other than frustration... if I find out that the "broadstroke" answer to my Question means I don't get the entire picture of how something works in a Destination I am visiting.

Example...

Me = Is there a city bus that runs from Airport XYZ to my Downtown Hotel

TA # 1 = Yes

TA # 2 = Yes but it'll cost you $ 5.00

TA # 3 = Yes but it'll cost you $ 5.00 and take 1-1/2 Hours

TA # 4 = Yes but it'll cost you $ 5.00 and take 1-1/2 Hours and you'll have to change buses 3 times

TA # 5 = Yes but it'll cost you $ 5.00 and take 1-1/2 Hours and you'll have to change buses 3 times... so not worth it. There is a City Airporter Shuttle that will cost you $ 7.00 and get you from the Airport to your Downtown Hotel in 15 Minutes

Likewise...

So although it is well and good to tell the Traveller WHERE they can find Private Rental Listings... IMO it is far more helpful to tell them where to find LEGAL Listings right from the get go, how to avoid pitfalls, and how to search out if a place they may be considering is indeed legally registered and inspected in case they find one elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... As for the idea that ONLY Legit Owners answer Questions... I don't buy that for a minute... lots of people have been duped by unscrupulous folks who provide a ton of what appears ligit info (Photos, Websites, Referrals... even what appears to be Contracts to be signed that are sent back with the Renter's Money / Cheque).

Being able to check via the Quebec Ministry of Tourism Registry seperately... and not have to take the Owner's word for it... means you actually KNOW who has indeed been Registered, operate Legally and has been Inspected cuts out any extra steps / concerns.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 08:06
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartments in Montreal

Have I? Nope. Will I? Nope. I am an innkeeper. I have received the phone calls from people asking for a place to stay after they have been ripped off.