We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best Christmas decorations (End of November)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Where are the best Christmas decorations (End of November)

We are travelling with a toddler, staying at the intercontinental - Where are the best places [hotel lobbies? stores?] where we could see trees, gingerbread houses or other seasonal decor?

Thank you!

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,443 Reviews
from USD 89.80*
Best Seller
Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour
1,162 Reviews
from USD 43.70*
Best Seller
Montreal City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
636 Reviews
from USD 42.90*
3 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Where are the best Christmas decorations (End of November)

Just keep in mind that we don't have a turning point at Thanksgiving that you have. By the way happy Thanksgiving! Yes our Thanksgiving is much earlier. so it is not like we have a deadline to put decorations out.

About 20 years ago stores were starting to put out their Christmas decorations by late October and, since we don't take all the decorations out by Jan 2 like most Americans do, it was running way too long.

Nowadays Christmas decorations under the responsability of the city are put up in late November, actually it started in the last few days but for business and private homes there is no specific time and I think that most nowadays go with very early December. Also note that we are not so much in the hyper decorations and illuminations that you will find often in the USA.

So at the moment I can just recommend the toy village at Ogilvy, quite an antique mecanical thing that attracts kids and parents in tow. The Museum of Fine Arts usually has a gallery full of Christmas trees decorated by different cultural communities but I don't know anymore since it doesn't apper on the website and neither ot the e-mails sent to their members. You should send them an e-mail or just call while in Montréal to check it out.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,556 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Where are the best Christmas decorations (End of November)

You can check the Montreal tourism website for events happening:

https:/…winter-holiday-activities

Many will likely not begin until December 1st, however the Santa Claus parade was last week, and that often is a kick-off for displays and exhibits.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Where are the best Christmas decorations (End of November)

I just came back to this post and hope that it is still valid . So I just read this morning in the newspaper that there is a guy that spent $50,000 to decorate his home. It is located on Avenue Jean-Bourdon in the north end (Ahunsic) but I didn't find the exact adress.

Reply to: Where are the best Christmas decorations (End of November)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted