We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage late september-early october

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Fall foliage late september-early october

Next year I’d like to see the fall foliage with my family, we would like to spend 2 days in a city like Quebec city, montreal, toronto...and on the third day we would like to have a one-day trip to see the fall foliage outside the city. We don’t want to rent a car so we are looking for a tour with bus/cruise/train to see the fall foliage. We have flexible dates for our four-five nights vacation, we can go there from mid september till 4th october. So which are the better dates to have more chances to see the fall foliage? I know that is it impossibile to know the exact dates when the leaves turn to red and yellow, but I would like to avoid to come and find all trees still green. Which city between Quebec city, Montreal and Toronto is better to choose beacuse it has the best fall foliage Tours that depart from it?

Thank you!

20 replies to this topic
Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

Ottawa offers one of the best options, called Rhapsody of Colour. Here is the info for 2017 https:/…

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

Thank you for the link! Which are the dates, in the period I mentioned above, when I have more opportunities to see the fall foliage? I know it is inpossible to predict the peak, but just to be quite sure not to find all trees still green...thank you

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

The best time is usually October 7-12. You will be a little early no matter where you go, but the Ottawa event is usually scheduled from the last week in September to the 3rd week in October.

Quebec city would be another good area, but I'm not familiar with their shuttle/tour services. Montreal is a big city that requires at least one hour driving to get into the countryside. Toronto will probably have colours later and it's also a big city so you are unlikely to see the colours there.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

Thank you very much for all the informations you gave me, I really appreciated! Even if I don’t find the peak I hope to fell the autumn and to see the changing colurs of the leaves.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,481 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

" Toronto will probably have colours later and it's also a big city so you are unlikely to see the colours there." Just to correct this comment.

While it is true that the leaves will not have changed in Toronto that early, it is completely false that when they do change you are unlikely to see them. The city is filled with parks, ravines, and residential neighbourhoods with mature trees that are ablaze with colour during the foliage season.

woolfitaly - your best bet at that time of year would be Quebec City. You can check the Quebec City tourism site to find out what day trips might be available.

https://www.quebecregion.com/en/

Know that the foliage season can vary from year to year ... this year for example the change came extremely late.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

Phpr thank you, I think you are right, Quebec City is northern than the other cities, maybe I have more chances to see the fall foliage, I will check the link you have posted, thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
140 reviews
7. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

I agree with JayLee as there is a tour bus service to Gatineau park which is most beautiful when in full colour.

As to Quebec city being farther north it is actually warmer with the golf of St Laurence influence so I am not sure about being that much earler.

I think you are a bit early for the colour bloom. I would not plan my stay based on it.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 03:00
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

Thank you, I’ve started to look from Boston and moved norther hoping to see fall foliage in my period but sadly I see that anywhere I look it’s hard I can see the fall foliage...probabily I have to give up the idea to see it and start to look for something else to see or to do. Thank you, I still hope once in my lifetime I could see it.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,906 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

Your chances of seeing fall colours with only a few days available with your dates is about as good as winning big on the lottery (-:

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,481 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Fall foliage late september-early october

In that time period you really have to go further north. One of the best opportunities would be to take the Agawa Canyon train from Sault Ste, Marie, Ontario. There are day trip and overnight packages.

http://www.agawatrain.com/

SSM is an 8 hour drive north of Toronto, however there are regular flights from Toronto on Air Canada and Porter Airlines.

Reply to: Fall foliage late september-early october
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted