We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Hamilton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hello!

My friend and I are students and planning as cost-friendly of trip to PEI as we can at the end of August, but car rental prices seem to be outrageous! With taxes and insurance it looks to be around $530 for one week. We'll be staying with some of my family for the most part, but they don't have an extra car to be used and will be working majority of the time. Anyone with suggestions on best places to rent from, if there are any discounts available, or if anyone has outside-of-the-box ideas it would be much appreciated, we're desperate!

Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

If you are under 25 there is no cheap. Look for scooter rental as an alternate

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,797 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

If you can pick up from a non-airport location, the price is better. The last couple of times I've visited PEI, a family member has picked me up at the airport and taken me to the family cottage, and then the next day, taken me in to Summerside where I've rented at substantial savings over airport prices. Then, at the end of my trip, I turn in the car a day before I go, and a family member drives me to the airport to get my flight. Last summer, it was going to cost me over $800 to rent from the airport (for close to two weeks, with an additional driver) but it was about $425 from Enterprise in Summerside. Part of the savings is also the day or two less of the rental period, but still ...

Mentioned in this post
Summerside
Summerside
Prince Edward Island, Canada
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Timing is important. I have a compact booked from Enterprise C'town airport mid July for a week - $561.64. A month earlier is $100 less. We're booked Sat to Sat, other days might be different. And I keep looking just in case they drop their price. Our only problem now is will WestJet pilots be flying then?

West Chester...
Level Contributor
528 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Bob,

Do not know if this website works in Canada

https://www.rentalcars.com

I have found cheaper rates on the web site, as others have said try renting at an off airport location, I too have saved many $$$ doing it. Take a cab from the airport to the rental counter in Charlottetown. Many times you can drop the car off at the airport for no additional charge. I would book now, I assume no cost to book a car and keep checking as you get closer to the date 1-7 days out you may see a drop in $$, again my experience is all based in the USA.

Mentioned in this post
Charlottetown
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island, Canada
United States
United States
North America
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Tom, if we got in earlier in the day I might think of it but when we don't arrive until 6:15, hopefully, I just want to get the car and on our way, probably near 7 after getting a car. Sooooo many restaurants shut down at 8 pm. Don't want to go into C'town to eat and get to Steve's after 10.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,996 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

CAA memberships have car rental discounts. So also do Costco memberships.

But $530 all in is not a bad price for peak travel season.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Checked that site Tom, for same car and company where I've booked (had good results with them before) same price.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
528 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

Bob

Counting the days until July.....lol

Reply to: Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted