We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hour layover in Toronto

Tallinn, Estonia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
12 hour layover in Toronto

Does anyone have an idea, what to do with 8 AM - 8 PM layover in Toronto airport on Saturday in the end of October? 12 hours seems to be too long to spend in airport.

Thinking at the moment about getting a day room in hotel somewhere (any suggestions are welcome) or renting a car for ten hours and touring the city.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Personally, I wouldn't waste a lay over in a day room nor would I hire a car. I would take an airport shuttle or Taxi downtown and do a little sight-seeing on foot (with perhaps the occasional hop on to the metro or street car). There's plenty to see and do just walking around downtown Toronto in a single day.

Where I would send you exactly would depend on your interests.

Also, you don't say where you are coming from and where you are eventually heading. Before you plan anything make sure you will be allowed out through Canada customs. If, for instance, you are coming from Estonia and your final destination is in the United States they might not let you out of the airport in Canada.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

For getting a day room in a hotel, the best choice would be the Sheraton Gateway Hotel. It's attached to Terminal 3 (a short monorail ride from Terminal 1) so it's very convenient.

Tallinn, Estonia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

We are flying in with domestic flight from Montreal. And yes, we are going to US :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Well, since your flight originates in Canada you should have no trouble with Customs then.

Can't really help you with things to do unless you give us more information about interests. Perhaps just walking around Kensington Market or the Distillery District or taking in the AGO would pass your time in an enjoyable way.

One tip is to ignore TA's "Toronto: Things to do" -- it has been gamed by businesses selling their wares and is now absolutely useless.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 01:53
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Hi, we are coming from Ireland to Toronto in June and are really excited we have four days there. One we will naturally go to see the Niagra Falls. Of course we want to see the CN Tower, but after that we are a bit stuck. What would people living in Toronto advise. If you are good enough to read this and wonder what our interests are, the usual sightseeing things, anything that would be of interest in a big city (except Chinatown, no disrespect but have done a lot of them. ) I know there is a big market somewhere downtown, don't know where but after that no ideas. Help. By the way just two of us. Appreciate this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Hi Cinderella,

As a former Dubliner myself, I'm sure you'll love Toronto. However, you are better off starting your own thread rather than riding this one - specially since your stay is more than 12 hours long.

As for Chinatown, when touring Toronto, it's hard to miss it whether you planned to see it or not. In fact there is actually six "China Towns" in the Greater Toronto Area.

There are two major markets in Toronto: Kensington Market (which is more of a district than a market. Think Temple Bar in Dublin with less pubs and more cheese shops) and St.Lawrence Market (think the English Market in Cork), That's all for now. I'll wait for your own thread if you want me to answer more.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

My strategy in your position would be to make a list of things I wanted to see, get "downtown" and see how much time I had and choose what to do based on that. Be sure at plan to get back to the airport with lots of time, especially if your departure flight is anywhere near rush hour.

St. Lawrence Market, Distillery district, CN Tower, AGO, ROM are all within a short trek from Union Station once you get downtown.

Or if you would rather do something outdoorsy you could visit High Park would might have some great fall fall foliage in October (or is that too late? I am not sure) and is on the subway line.

"Kensington Market (which is more of a district than a market. Think Temple Bar in Dublin with less pubs and more cheese shops)"

lol! I would never have described it that way, but I love that description.

Tallinn, Estonia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Thx for the tips! For me best idea seems to rent a car and making a day trip to Niagara Falls. Since it's Saturday traffic shouldn't be too heavy and about 10 hours should be more than enough to get there and back. Is it too bad idea?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,051 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Hi maxj555;

Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

You should have plenty of time to enjoy the Falls.

Best Regards

Edited: 28 March 2012, 01:03
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 hour layover in Toronto

Personally, I wouldn't do it but I am super paranoid about missing flights!

If you are going to go, and basically just see the falls, it should be doable. I would check traffic reports before I left. It is far enough away that bad traffic can make that trip much longer. That said, even if the drive took you four hours each way, you should still have time.