We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Suggestions

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
358 reviews
Thanksgiving Suggestions

We will be visiting over the Thanksgiving holiday (early October) and are looking for some recommendations on where to eat that day or other activities to do over the holiday weekend.

8 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,604 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

Pretty well all the major hotels will have some kind of Thanksgiving meal (lunch or dinner) on the Sunday. Here's a list of some non-hotel locations from 2017. There will likely be a similar list on the same site this year:

https:/…

the Old Mill, a Toronto tradition, located in the west end (on a subway line) usually has a great buffet that weekend.

https://www.oldmilltoronto.com/

The surroundings are lovely ... good way to walk off all that turkey.

Most attractions will be open over the holiday - some may have limited hours. If the weather is good, a trip over to the islands or some walks through parks and ravines will reveal the start of foliage (although it's too early for the peak).

Saturday stop in at the St. Lawrence Market or the Evergreen Market ... folks will be picking up their turkeys and other treats.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 02:36
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
358 reviews
2. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

Thank you for the tips.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

I have been to the Old Mill several times on Thanksgiving Day and it's always been great. Good food, lovely ambience and surroundings.

You can also check to see if they are having a Thanksgiving dinner at Casa Loma this year.

Toronto
Level Contributor
489 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

As someone who's lived on both sides of the border, I find that Thanksgiving in Canada is less of a major holiday than Thanksgiving in the US. Here's a list of openings/closings from 2017 to give you an idea:

https:/…

The suggestions above are great if you're looking for something traditional. But there should also be lots of other options; my guess is that some places in Chinatown, for example, will be open, and probably also restaurants around the universities.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
358 reviews
5. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

Thank you all for the info and links. Looks like most places are open. Much appreciated.

Gibsons, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,195 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

Thanksgiving weekend in Canada is sort of like Easter weekend in the USA. Most Canadians just stay close to home and have a dinner with family/friends, but it's not a big deal otherwise and it's not really a big travel day where everyone stops what they're doing to fly across the country. That's Christmas. :) Shops and restaurants stay open on the Thanksgiving weekend. Some restaurants might have a seasonal offering. In Canada, Thanksgiving revolves around celebrating the harvest season (rather than a historical moment involving pilgrims) so things are naturally festive already at that time of the year as early October is truly autumn. The menus, where they offer seasonal foods, will generally reflect autumn cuisine. But if you want a turkey dinner, you can certainly find one. There will be a lot of pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, cranberries, and turkey with stuffing, with all the fixings. :)

Edited: 14 August 2018, 10:40
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
358 reviews
7. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate any information that helps us in the planning process.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,694 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Thanksgiving Suggestions

“Shops and restaurants stay open on the Thsnksgiving Weekend”.

You will find very few store open on the actual holiday in Ontario. It’s the one thing that threw a curve at me when I moved from Alberta to Ontario. Even Walmart is closed.

Reply to: Thanksgiving Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted