We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Barbados
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Hi

My Husband & I are from England, and have just booked our vacation to Canada. Staying in Oakville, for 2 weeks. This will be our first time to Canada,and we cannot wait!

Looking for advice on (Public Transport) Buses, coach, or trains? would be great!

We would like to see and do as much as we can whilst there, but dont want the added expense of hiring a car!

Thank you in advance

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Oakville actually covers a pretty large area, some of which is very much designed for people with cars. Depending on where in Oakville you're staying, you might find you'd be relying on buses that run rather infrequently, making for a long commute into downtown Toronto.

Can you give us a better idea of the location? Either the name of the hotel, or if it's not a hotel the nearest major intersection. (You can look up your address on Google Maps to figure this out.)

Barbados
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Not quite sure where nearest highway is; location we are staying in within Oakville is Rebbeca Street near Westbrook Park. Hope this helps?

Ps.From what I can gather, train travel may be better option, than bus? If so again from where we are located are is the train station within walking distace?

Thank you for your time and assistance,much appreciated!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

That's the info I needed, thanks.

I'm sorry to tell you that you're in the west end of Oakville, which is rather suburban. The closest train station (Bronte GO - gotransit.com/publicroot/… ) is 3.8 km away; that's a 45 minute walk, mostly along wide, high-traffic roads and partly through industrial areas.

There is local bus service along Rebecca Street. Oakville Transit Route 31 (http://www.oakvilletransit.com/route31.htm) would take you to the Bronte GO station, but beware that this bus only runs 6 times _per day_, with no weekend service. With a longer walk or transfers between routes you could probably cobble together some other transit possibilites, but it'll be a big hassle.

I think that renting a car will be money well spent, even if you just use it to drive to the GO train station to get into Toronto (thereby avoiding parking costs and downtown traffic), to get to local restaurants or shopping, and for day trips to Niagara Falls and other attractions outside downtown Toronto.

Barbados
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Thanks again for the Sound Advice, A car does seem to be the way to go, to avoid lots of hassle!

Could I be so bold in aksing if you would reccomend any Car Hire Company in particular? Budget tight, so the cheaper the better, really and would only use to get to the station and back etc.

Tks

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Enterprise is a good company in town, I have used them often.

I live in Oakville, have since 1988. I have always lived in southeast which is by lake and close to the shops downtown.

The westend has Coronation park which is a very well used lakefront park. Further west along Lakeshore Hwy (main road south of Rebecca) is Bronte. It is part of Oakville, you put Oakville on mail of anyone living in Bronte, it was always Oakville's poor cousin. But it is being developed and the Harbour and marina is very nice place to walk etc. Nice shops. Also, on Lakeshore just at Bronte road south is a Pub called Coach and Four which we enjoy. Nice owners etc.

As a resident, if you live north of QEW main highway, you have beautiful trails and parks for kids/dogs whatever and recreation centres and your own strip malls of food shops/clothes whatever BUT to see OLD Oakville and shops and lake, you have to drive south.

If you have any questions or know your dates, I can research what maybe on at that time. I am only a 5 min drive from the GO TRAIN which takes you to Toronto......too bad you were not staying closer to main transportation hub. Anyway, feel free to ask away.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

May we ask if there's some reason why you are staying in Oakville? If you are not locked into that perhaps we could help you choose a more suitable location.

Barbados
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Will check out Enterprise Car Hire, and wow, thanks so much for all the great information.

Have been trying to research somwhat, as to whats to see and do whilst there, as we want to make the most of time we have. Our dates are booked we arrive on the 16th July - for 2 weeks until the 29th August.

However as we have never been to or anywhere near Canada and it seems such a huge place, it can be difficult when you have no little or NO knowledge

of the City or area. and we want to make the most of our stay. We are young at heart 50 year olds, are well travelled apart from Canada that is!

Are intrests are varied,love the idea of a lake trip, we are into food & wine and sightseeing in general, festivals, concerts infact almost anything!

as well a little discount priced shopping along the way. (Hope my hubby does not see this)!

So if you have the time to research then that would be great..

Thanks to all for your replies and contributions to my posting.

Sun1000

Barbados
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Reply to Post from Senior65

Thanks so much for your post,and your offer as to helping us find us another area to stay.

However, we are locked in to where we are staying, ad its no detriment to us at all, wheres theres a will theres a way! and we intend to make the most of our stay in Oakville and Canada.

Thanks again

Sun1000

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

A few car rental ideas:

- You can use a site like Expedia to get rates for many of the major car rental brands at once. (You may still want to book through the company's own web site, but Expedia would give you an idea of which are cheaper.)

- Because you're here for two weeks, it's worth pricing an airport rental and comparing to renting from a location in Oakville or Burlington. There can be significant differences in rates. That said, renting at the airport will save you a taxi ride to/from where you're staying. An airport taxi to Rebecca St at Westbrook Park would cost $58 + tip (flat rate); the taxi back would be metered but should work out to something similar.

- You can sometimes get better car rental rates through Hotwire and Priceline. I don't have experience with Toronto rentals, but have used Hotwire elsewhere with no problems. Some tips can be found at http://www.bidontravel.com/ .

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation Local - (Oakville)

Depending how far south you are relative to Westbrook Park it may well be an easy walk down to Lakeshore Road West where you can catch the Route 14 bus to Oakville GO Station - this runs every 30 mins throughout the day and connects with the GO Train.

If you are taking a taxi back to the airport many companies offer fixed price fares - I use Aerofleet from Oakville and they charge around $55.