We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Oakville

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Oakville

I'm almost sure my family and I will spend 5 days in Oakville in early October, using it as a base to visit other parts of Ontario.

Initially I was going to book the Holiday Inn as it is very close to GO transportation. That is no longer relevant, however, as we are spending 3 nights in Toronto itself, before moving out to Oakville where we'll have a rental-car.

Could anyone advise on the best hotel in Oakville, in terms of facilities and also location ...?

I looked at the Oakville Inn Hotel website but am not convinced it will be suitable for us.

We would like to have restaurant options close by.

Thank you.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Can't help much about quality of hotels but can comment on locations. The Oakville Inn is the only hotel in the "downtown"

area all the others are a drive away. If you have a car that should not be a problem and parking would be on site so that would be solved.

The other motels/hotels are all part of chains so are probably all basically ok.

The Ramada is right next door to Oakville Place which is an enclosed mall with very nice stores and a food court with the usual coffee shops and fast food outlets. There is also an Italian restaurant, East Side Marios. The Ramada also has restaurant facilities, lunch buffets etc.

The Holiday Inn near the GO station is surrounded with restaurants of all types. You would need to drive to "downtown Oakville" from both places. A bit far to walk. The other hotels are further out on the outskirts of the town with nothing much around them except a few fast food places.

You might want to check out bed and breakfast places. Some of these may be in residential areas close to the downtown area.

Hope this helps.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Just had a thought. You might like Burlington which is a very pleasant drive along the Lakeshore Road west of Oakville. About fifteen minutes I would say. It too has a very pleasant "downtown" area and is right on Lake Ontario. Lovely park and beach area very close to shops and restaurants. There are a couple of hotels right on the lakefront, I believe one is a Travelodge which also has a couple of inhouse restaurants. Again I can't vouch for the quality of these places, when you live in the area you don't usually stay in the hotels.

There are lots of other places to stay in Burlington but would not be any advantage over staying in Oakville. I just thought that you might be interested in the lakefront location of a couple as they are right in the town.

On the way to Burlington on the western edge of Oakville is Bronte which has a beautiful harbour, pleasant shops and restaurants but I do not

recollect any hotels.

You might also want to consider Port Credit which is one of the original villages which incorporated to form what is now Mississauga, also on the GO line,lovely harbour, shops, restaurants. Along the Lakeshore Road, east of Oakville (towards Toronto). There is a place on the harbour called the Waterside Inn which I believe has short term rentals of furnished apartments. A lot of business men stay there I believe. There is also an upscale restaurant on the premises. I will look up the email address or website for you.

The drive between all these places can be done in about half an hour or so along a quite scenic Lakeshore Road. Lovely residential areas, lakefront in places and parks plus commercial development, shops etc.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Website for Waterside Inn is www.thewatersideinncda.com

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Senior, thanks so much for all the helpful information you've provided.

I will spend some time investigating Burlington. It sounds nice.

Having looked at the hotel website you provided, even though no rates are given, I think it is possibly out of our league ...!

The Ramada sounds quite well-positioned in the Oakville area, as does the Holiday Inn.

The TripAdvisor reviews for the Holiday Inn are good (it's voted #1 in Oakville) but none are recent ...

We would like to be in a pleasant area, with shopping options and nice restaurants (not just fast-food) so that my son and I can 'please ourselves' whilst my Dad golfs.

Thanks again.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

found this website with some nice looking places to stay -

www.oakvilletourism.ca

although I have visited Oakville, I haven't stayed however some of the smaller places look lively and the Holiday Inn seems nice too.

There is a wonderful park which you should take a stroll through if you can - it's called Gairloch and has wonderful views of Lake Ontario and all around. Also has a nice art gallery. They do have a website www.GairlochGardens.com however it really doesn't do it justice.

Happy hotel hunting!

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Gill, thanks again for the links.

I recall you gave me several on the Toronto board, when I first started investigating our forthcoming trip.

If Ontario's Gairloch is half as nice as ours I'll be impressed :-)

I sent away for and have since received lots of interesting 'bumph' re: Oktoberfest. I hope we'll be able to visit sometime over that weekend.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Gill, thanks again for the links.

I recall you gave me several on the Toronto board, when I first started investigating our forthcoming trip.

If Ontario's Gairloch is half as nice as ours I'll be impressed :-)

I sent away for and have since received lots of interesting 'bumph' re: Oktoberfest. I hope we'll be able to visit sometime over that weekend.

Whitchurch-Stouffvil...
Level Contributor
134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Hmmmm....

I would prob say that the Oakville inn is not a good idea because it is so small. Based on the family aspect I would say the fairfield inn - nearest intersection is Winston Churchill and QEW. They have a pool and that always goes over good with kids.

Check it out on Expedia:

www.expedia.ca/pub/agent.dll…

Good Luck!

C

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

Christine,

This thread is over a year old and I am happy to tell you that Snow had a wonderful time!

For her trip reports see:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k31885…

10. Re: Accommodation in Oakville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Oakville