We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on Oakville

halifax
6 posts
Save Topic
Information on Oakville

Hi, We are relocating to Ontario and would like some information about Oakville such as, places to shop, things to do there etc.. Would appreciate any info. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information on Oakville

Oakville is wonderful. We live on the border of Oakville/Mississauga.

Lots of shopping all around from large malls to the excellent historic downtown Oakville, just north of Lake Ontario with unique shops. (Great Kitchen store and chocolatier)

Schools in general are excellent including some exclusive private schools. There is wide range of housing from mansions on the lake to condos/ townhouses, to new subdivisions.

It's a really nice place. A Bit expensive but nice. Coming from the east coast it may be little bit more of a shock on the cost of living though.

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information on Oakville

We have lived in Oakville for sometime now. Our kids go to a private school in Oakville called MacLachlan School, It's a wonderful school and my kids have never got so much out of school before they went there. I suggest you look into MacLachlan or one of the private schools if you have children. But some are a bit expensive it depends on your budget.

There is lot's of places to shop, some cute little shops along the waterfront on Lakeshore Rd, there is a little coffee shop called Timothy's by the waterfront trail and we always go there after a stroll along the lake. There is a new section of Oakville with lot's of movie theatres restraunts, Best Buy stores and all sorts like that.

House's are expensive in Old Oakville, expecially along the lake, if your looking for more reasonably priced homes than look at some of the houses in the newer part of town. If your moving to the Greater Toronto Area than Oakville is the place to be! It's right by Lake Ontario, and near the countryside but only a short drive to downtown Toronto!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information on Oakville

I have lived in Oakville for about a year and a half now. It has a very small town feeling. Very family oriented. Housing south of the QEW highway is expensive but a lot of the newer developments north of the highway are reasonable. The downtown area is very nice. Lots of quaint shops etc. Oakville has many parks and trails which we use for cycling etc. I would highly recommend Oakville or Burlington, over Mississauga and Toronto(having lived there also) to anyone moving here.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Information on Oakville

Depends where you are going to be working. I agree that Oakville is a desirable place to live, I used to live there and still live south of the lakeshore on theOakville/Mississauga border. Lovely down here, but expensive because of the proximity to the lake, large treed lots etc. If you are going to be working in Toronto you have to be prepared for the commute which will take you at least an hour if you drive in the rush hour which starts about 6 a.m.