We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2007, 21:03
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

I'd also ask this on a busy forum like Toronto, because the weather is more or less the same.

I spend half the year in Mexico now (the other half in Oakville), but I grew up in the Toronto area. I never remember ever having to stay indoors growing up because of the cold. You might get the odd week of really frigid weather, but those periods are rare. It's not like Winnipeg or Edmonton. We have the moderating influence of the lake.

I personally think you just have to dress for the weather, even on the coldest days.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

I live directly above Oakville. Oakville is a lovely place, expensive too!

We have had a recent deep freeze which lasted a few weeks. At that time kids don't usually play outside, who would want to? Even the schools will have indoor recess if its that cold. But on a nice winter day there are plenty of kids outside making snowmen, tobagganing or doing other fun things in the snow. Today is actually a nice winter day, think the temp is around -3C with light snow falling but its not bitterly cold, so being outside is okay.

If you are winter people then winter is fun as you can go ice skating, skiing, snowboarding etc.

I personally dislike winter with a passion so most of my winter is spent indoors.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

It's acutally not that bad! I don't recall having to stay in 'casue it's TOO COLD! =)

Oakville is a great area to live. Definitely a place I would consider investing!

There's lots to do here, like skating, skiing, etc...

4. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2007, 21:03
Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

I would just like to add my 2 cents worth! I am a mom of 2 girls and have lived in Oakville for 10 years now. I can't imagine a better place to live. There is soooo much to do (even on cold days!).

As for your question about kids having to stay indoors due to cold weather - I would say perhaps about 5-8 days per winter it is just too darn cold to play outside. This is when we have a deep freeze. On most winter days, the sun is shining and it's beautiful. You can find most kids on the toboggan hill after school, with the parents trying to drag them off to go home for dinner! There are both indoor and outdoor ice rinks (lots of them), many, many community centres and so much more to do during the winter months. Particularily if you are into winter sports (skiing, boarding, skating), the winter can be something that a family actually looks forward to like we do.

I happen to LOVE the 4 seasons. We make the best of every season and what it has to offer.

Wow, to go from Vancouver or Oakville, or Oakville to Vancouver! Tough life - they're both AMAZING places!!!!

Toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

Hi

I don't know why r you moving from VC to Oakville,On.Because what i knew is that VC is more beter than living in Toronto.It is true that more work opportunity here.More places to see and you can visit to USA by road when you wish.

I live in a Toronto,20 min. away from the Oakville.As you that the weather of Ontario is varied aas per season.Almost from the January to april you have to do all your indoor activity.Kid can can not paly outdoor.Except they can in snow sometime,like skiing and ice skatting.or they can go to the community centre.Rest of season is very nice.Summer is little hot.

Actually kid are enjoying the snow very well.They love it.

All the best

Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

I've lived in the Oakville/Burlington area my whole life and have travelled a fair bit and couldn't imagine a nicer place to live. Yes we do get a few bitter cold days in the winter but it doesn't seem to stop the kids from going outside to play. As a kid I never really noticed the cold and I actually loved the winter because it meant skating, skiing, snow forts etc. It's a bit of a drag as you get older but the summer more than makes up for it. This area tends to be sheltered from extreme weather also because of the lake effect. Oakville has beautiful parks, paths, gardens and has really made an effort to conserve its heritage. It's safe, clean and has plenty of ammenities. You are in a better investment position to purchase a home in Oakville rather than Mississauga or Hamiton. Housing prices in Oakville have skyrocked and real estate analysts predict it to continue to do so.

We don't have the mountains like out west sadly but I'm certain you won't be dissapointed with the move.

Good Luck

8. Re: Family from Vancouver, BC moving to Oakville, ON

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 09:15