We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Border Crossing

I'm a UK citizen and visiting Michigan in the summer. I want to visit Niagara Falls and the quickest way is across the Canadian border. As a UK citizen do I need to have a visa to cross the border?

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,015 Reviews
from USD 109.95*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,056 Reviews
from USD 149.95*
Best Seller
Best of Niagara Falls Tour from...
786 Reviews
from USD 123.80*
6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border Crossing

To enter Canada by land, you only need your passport. If you change your mind and fly to Canada from anywhere, you will need to apply for an eTA for $7 from this official site:

https:/…facts.html

The eTA is an authorisation to board the plane. No eTA, no flying to Canada.

To get back in to the USA, you will already have your ESTA for flying there in the first place, so with your passport you will be good to go.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 18:49
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Crossing

What you'll actually need is an I-94W waiver which you'll get on arriving in the United States the first time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border Crossing

If a UK citizen flies to the USA (Michigan), s/he will need an ESTA. From there to Canada by land, requires no Canadian docs other than a passport. I’m not seeing where the I-94W comes in.

I based my comments on the assumption that the OP is flying from the UK to Michigan.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,750 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border Crossing

Hi MuftiVancouver;

Think of the American ESTA as an equivalent to our eTA - authorization to board a plane.

Almost all visitors to the US require a Visa. Citizens of the UK are eligible for a "Visa Waiver"...the I-94W.

The process has been streamlined, so it appears almost seamless at the Point of Entry.

No concern, as the US airports electronically "attach" the I-94W to the traveller's passport.

I hope that clears things.

Best Regards

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,555 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border Crossing

Mufti has it correct

if you fly to the US on a passport that does not require a "visa" one needs to apply for an ESTA

if you fly first to Canada on a passport that does not require a "visa" one needs to apply for an eTA

for a land crossing from Canada to the US and you are from a "visa" free country you get an I-94 waiver at the land crossing.

when entering Canada from the US with a UK passport you only need your passport no additional documentation.

when returning to the US after a visit to Canada and you already have an ESTA because you flew to the US first you do not need a I-94 waiver to get back to the US; but there is a 90 day clause that applies.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border Crossing

RT ~

Thanks, I’m familiar with what an ESTA is. I am aware of all that you are trying to “clear up.”

Maybe ask poster 2 what he means. Post 2 says the OP needs an I-94W. There is no evidence that the OP needs that. Based on what the OP says -

1. Visiting Michigan from the UK = ESTA. I am assuming a flight would be the way the OP will arrive in Michigan from the UK. 🤔

2. Crossing to Niagara Falls, Canada = passport, nothing else

No evidence that the OP is returning to the States, but if returning by land, the I-94W will already be electronically attached to the OP’s passport. If returning by air, the ESTA will already be in place.

Post 2 would only be accurate, IMO, if the OP came to Canada first (in which case there would be no need to cross into Canada to NF) and planned to drive to Michigan (requiring an I-94W at the border.)

Reply to: Border Crossing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted