We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in July

We are coming to Toronto and Ottawa in July for three weeks. Coming from scotland I expect the weather will be better than we are used to. Can anyone give me a rough idea what to expect and what kind of clothing would be most suitable for kids and my self. Is it shorts weather or jeans? Or a mixture of both?

Thanks

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in July

Yes the weather should be 30 degrees during the daytime. Short pants are just fine during the daytime and even evenings but you might find long pants more appropriate in the evenings.

July is the warmest month of the year, you should be fine with no jackets but taking 1 light jacket might not be a bad idea

Edited: 27 May 2011, 07:43
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in July

hot and humid, won't need pants, but bring a pair and a light coat anyways, just to be safe. And depends where and what your plans are, could be mosquitos etc..... but you will find it shorts and short sleeve shirts for sure in july.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in July

Hi Mwasc,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM.

As always, here on TA you can discover Weather Averages by clicking on the TRAVEL GUIDE (button to the left of this screen)…

With a precise Destination (city) you’ll find a chart with Weather Averages provided by the Weather Underground…

For broader regions (ie the Province of Ontario… which is bigger than Most Countries BTW) there are usually links to the official Tourism Websites in the TRAVELLER ARTICLES

--- --- ---

I can certainly answer your Question for Ottawa here though, as I posted a similar reply for someone yesterday asking about the Month of June (and rain in particular) on the OTTAWA FORUM… so I’ll modify that response a bit for your needs… inserting July Info rather than June.

== snip ==

Canadian Weather is HIGHLY Unpredictable to say the least !!

Just one of the “norms” of living in what is known technically as an Extreme Climate (in that we experience over 100 Degrees F difference between our Coldest Day and our Warmest Day Annually).

And well precipitation is NO Exception… be it rain or snow… we know that it WILL HAPPEN we just never know WHEN, WHERE, or HOW MUCH.

I offer up the following from the Government of Canada’s Environment Canada Weather Office Website when it comes to Norms & Averages for Ottawa…

Environment Canada – Ottawa Intl Airport Weather Averages = …weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

JULY AVERAGES & NORMS

Daily Average Temp = 20.9 C (70 F)

Daily Maximum Ave = 26.5 C (80 F)

Daily Minimum Ave = 15.4 C (60 F)

Extreme Maximum Temp = 36.7 C (98 F) = July 21, 1955

Extreme Minimum Temp = 5 C (41 F) = July 15, 1946

Average Monthly Rainfall = 90.6 mm (3.566 inches)

July can be extremely HOT & HUMID (again with the Extreme element of our Climate)… almost “tropical”… which also can mean that YES there will be a fair bit of rain that accompanies this type of weather system.

Statistically we see 15.3 Days in the Month of July with a Humidex Reading of GREATER than 30 C (86 F)… Days with Humidex Readings GREATER than 35 C (95 F) or even 40 C (104 F) are not uncommon for July.

The Humidex Record for Ottawa was a HIGH of 46 C (115 F) which was set on July 1, 1955

You can find similar Environment Canada Stats for Toronto as well on-line…

Environment Canada – Toronto Island Airport (Downtown Toronto) Weather Averages = …weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

*NOTE – You’ll notice that Toronto with its more southerly location, proximity to Lake Ontario, and a more sprawling city (Greenhouse effect) tends to have temperatures a bit higher than Ottawa. Similarly if you get “outside” of one of our major cities into the countryside you’ll find that the temperatures change accordingly… evenings at a Campground, Cottage or Resort area either near water, or in a wooded area will be 5 Degrees or more cooler than a city… and the natural cool breezes will be anywhere from “quite welcome” to “chilly” depending on conditions that day.

IF we happen to have a very hot & humid summer… then rainfall would likely correspond… but more than likely you’ll see it listed in a Weather Forecast as “Chance of Showers” – “Isolated Showers” – or “Isolated Thunderstorms”… most importantly look for the POP number (Possibility of Precipitation)… anything less than 50% and it really is an IF IT HAPPENS kind of thing. Over 50% and chances are good you will see some rain during your day… and the higher the number, the more likely that Rain will be a major factor planning out your day (ie 80% or higher).

Predicting Canadian Weather is sketchy at the best of times… just too many variables here that come into play… personally I consult The Weather Network (they broadcast 24-7-365 on our Tvs… and also have info available on-line = www.theweathernetwork.com ). And although I do look at long-range forecasts (5 Day, 10 Day, 14 Day Trends)… I do find that the best ones are 3 Days or less…

Lol, we have a saying here in Canada… “Don’t like the Weather? Wait 5 Minutes it is sure to change”

Whatever the case… you’ll have to pack accordingly… and plan for layers you can add or subtract as needed. For Campers & Hikers, those Pants with the zip-off legs (so they become shorts) are very popular because of their flexibility.

A folding umbrella may come in handy… as will a cover-up that you can throw on if needed (sweater, hoodie, light jacket) especially in the evening.

As we have such an EXTREME Climate… most Canadians are comfortable somewhere around 68 F to 72 F… and consequently you’ll probably find our Air Conditioning practices quite chilly after coming in from the Heat & Humidity… a cover-up goes a long way in keeping one at a comfortable temperature, perhaps closer to your own norm.

You'll find that many Canadians when we are out for the day carry a day pack (backpack or similar) with us, and tucked inside will be that cover-up, camera, sunglasses, suntan lotion, lip balm, bug spray and probably some bottled water (on a hot day... you'll want to stay hydrated). All handy stuff to have.

Lol, and when it comes to Mr Wine & I... we also usually have our Bathing Suits tucked in too... as we never know where we'll end up with an opportunity to take in a refreshing swim when we go for a road trip.

The cover-up can be a real god-send... as most Non-Canadians infact comment that they find our living spaces not that comfortable… in that they are too hot in the winter, and too cold in the summertime. As I said it comes from trying to find a happy medium here… and the fact that we rely so heavily on central heating and air conditioning to regulate our bodies.

== end ==

Hope this is helpful

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 28 May 2011, 10:50
4. Re: Weather in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 14:19