We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car rentals with no drop off fees

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
18 reviews
29 helpful votes
One way car rentals with no drop off fees

Does any car rental company still offer one way rentals with no extra fees? Two summers ago I rented a car from Enterprise in Niagara and left the car in London ON and there was no extra charge on the rental. Today I contacted Enter and was informed they now charge 50 cents a KM for one way rentals, ouch.

Budget was higher yet.

Looks like I might be taking Greyhound back to Michigan from Toronto but thought TA might know of a rental company--or did they all gang up and jack the rates sky high?

Hotwire had no rentals for Toronto or Niagara to Windsor or London

Edited: 21 May 2011, 02:08
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
85,311 posts
104 reviews
574 helpful votes
1. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

Hi SS;

Many times, it depends on the where you are driving from and to. If it is a popular "lane", some companies won't charge a drop fee.

Last summer, Avis wasn't charging the fee on one-way rentals between Toronto & Montreal.

Best Regards

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
26,229 posts
30 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

This no-drop-off deals are only specials, as when someone else already paid a drop charge to rent the car from wherever to Toronto. These specials can rarely be reserved in advance, maximum a couple days.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
18 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

Well two summers ago both Enterprise locations (niagara-london) told me as long as the car stays in Ontario I could drop the car off at any Enterprise office since they can just rent the car out no problems since it has Ontario plates. .

Today they are saying oh no, there is lots of paper work and expense involved with one way rentals. Sounds like bull to me and the fee isn't even reasonable.

Wounder what happen?

Edited: 21 May 2011, 03:38
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,124 posts
175 reviews
175 helpful votes
4. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

No drop-off fees are the exception rather than the norm in North America.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,484 posts
132 reviews
191 helpful votes
5. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

I don't think the car having Ontario plates is an issue, unless Ontario has some kind of laws about it, unlike other provinces ... I rent a car every summer or two when I go down east to visit family in PEI, and I have never rented a car there with PEI plates; they've always been either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick plates. Similarly, here in Jasper, Alberta, our local car rental lots routinely have cars with BC plates, or even some of the other western provinces.

I wonder if it has to do with agency (and car) ownership... whether the rental offices are corporately-run, or run by franchisees - ? If each office is separately owned and operated, they might want to keep "their" cars in their location.

Sounds to me like the agency has decided that offering that service is too much trouble for them, and they have priced it so as not to be an attractive option for customers.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
18 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

I don't know what happen, 2 years ago isn't that long, really its been 23 months. I even called the same office in Niagara that was so nice to me in July 2009. Yesterday they didn't seem to nice at all--no idea when the drop off fee happen, the Toronto office seem ruder yet...had to drag info out of them.

I checked Budget online and they had like a $400 extra fee. Not sure about Hertz...for the heck of it I'm calling Enter 1-800 canada number and complaining as a former customer...I always went with Enter, here by my home many times--Out in Vegas in 2002...

Freaking Greyhound wants $70 for a ride to Detroit--I rented the car for 24 hours in 2009 for $45 and paid high since I just called them up in the Falls for a car the next day...a 4 hour ride is going to be over 5 hours and I have to go at certain times--yuk.

I going by bus to DC but its fun going--not coming back home, lol

(I'm going from DC to Toronto cause no good way to get back to Detroit and I will like to visit a real freedom place after DC, ha ha)--I heard they even ticket you for jaywalking over in DC, lol

Edited: 22 May 2011, 07:18
7. Re: One way car rentals with no drop off fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 14:42