We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

We're docking in Sydney 9 am - 6pm. Want to avoid cruise's excursions. Want to see beautiful sights in Sydney. How to do this?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

Welcome to tripadvisor. Another site you could check out is cruisecritic.com

For cruise stops in Sydney, what I recommend depends upon when you are coming. If it is between June 1 and Oct. 15 then I would suggest a trip to the restored Fortress Louisbourg. www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index.aspx

You can rent a car, take a taxi, or a ship's tour. Renting a car gives you the most flexibility and the best price. You can do a search for car rental companies. There are plenty of posts about this on Cruise Critic (Go to the Ports of Call section and look under Canada for the search feature). Enterprise is mentioned often. Apparently they will deliver a car to the pier.

If you are going outside the times above, the Fortress at Louisbourg is not fully animated and may not be worthwhile, unless your ship has made special arrangements.

Driving to Baddeck is a good second choice. It is a scenic drive and you can visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. nstravelguide.com/what/museums/alexander-gra…

pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx

There are lots of shops and restaurants in Baddeck. You can return to the ship on another scenic route.

http://goo.gl/maps/7mkB

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

Thank you! Very helpful suggestions.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

If you do rent a car to go to Louisbourg be sure to take the road off of the main road in Louisbourg to visit Lighthouse Point...Its havenside drive, drive to the top where the Lighthouse is and take the walking trail. you will not be disappointed, it is stunning. If you click on my username I have pictures of Baddeck, and loiusbourg on there. Some of the fortress and the walking trail. P.S Louisbourg/fortress is very easy to get to from the dock also. When at the dock...drive up the hill out of the lot making a right. Drive 20 seconds and on the left is Dorchester Street...drive and turn right at the second intersection onto George St and drive straight for about 25-30 minutes until you come to the fortress office. :)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

wow! wonderfully specific, helpful suggestions . . . how can I miss? thank you.

Grass Lake, Michigan
1 post
1 review
5. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

What about the Cabot Trail? I also have a day in port in Sydney and I do not know much about the area. It sounds, however, like the Cabot Trail is a must see.....any experience?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

The Cabot Trail is a must see. However, to put it simply, you do not have time to drive around the Cabot Trail.

It takes about five hours and you have to get there from Sydney and back. and allow for scenic stops, lunch and contingencies.

Some cruise companies offer excursions called something like "a taste of the Cabot Trail:". They take you to Ingonish Beach and back. It is not the best part of the trail in my opinion. They do take the time to take you to Keltic Lodge for lunch and a "shopping opportunity".

I wish the cruise companies would spend longer in Sydney but they do not. Some only dock for four or five hours. It is one of the drawbacks of cruising.

I hope you will see enough of Cape Breton and Nova Scotia that you will want to come back for longer.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

There really isnt enough time to do the whole trail but maybe you could do a portion of it. Try driving up to Cheticamp and back or Ingonish and back. How long is your stay? Many of the ships arrive at 8am and leave at 5 or 6pm. OR you could come back to Cape Breton on your own and spend a whole week here and visit at your own pace :)

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

P.S There is not alot to do right in Sydney so do an excursion of some kind while you are here. If you chose not to, you can go to the Interpretive Centre right at the port which has a huge display upstairs of our area with pictures etc and should not be missed as well there will be a huge craft show on the main floor. You can visit the small museum (Cossit House) two minute walk from the port, and the church across the street from the port. If you want a cheap t-shirt as a gift for you or someone back home, go to Lawtons on George St which is walking distance from the port. They are cheap and are usually at the exit door at Lawtons Drug store. I think they are like 6 or 7 dollars.

9. Re: On a cruise; what to do when in port in Sydney for a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2012, 12:15