We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape breton advice please

manitoba
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cape breton advice please

Hello,

my fiancee and I are spending our honeymoon in Nova Scotia! We are spending a week on the south shore around Liverpool. I think we would regret it if we didn't see Cape Breton though. How many days would you recommend we take to see Cape Breton and drive the Cabot Trail? Would two days be enough. We are a bit short on time. We would be flying into and out of Halifax. Thanks for the advice.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape breton advice please

Hello smartens360,

It depends. Are you including travel days? We went from Halifax to Cape Breton on one day, toured the Cabot Trail on the second day, and drove back towards Halifax on the third day. If you have 2 days plus a day to drive up and a day to drive back, you should have a good time. If you have 2 days from Halifax, then the drive up would not be worth it.

Margaree
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cape breton advice please

Personally, speaking only for myself, I don't think you would be doing justice to C.B. to only spend 2 days. It is a 4 hr drive from Halifax, (depending on where you leave from), to the Causeway and it would take a good day to 'do' the Trail...and you haven't even had time to do any hikes, visit the Bell Museum or the Fortress, explore the Highland Village, go on a Whale Cruise or a Puffin tour etc.... I think 5 days would be a minimum.

I would say, take more time where you are, drive over to the Annapolis Valley, spend a bit of time in Halifax.

And revisit the Island of Cape Breton when you can give her more time!!! Perhaps on your first anniversary? Good luck.

manitoba
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape breton advice please

Thanks for the advice. I figured two days wouldn't be enough. Oh well, I guess we will concentrate on the south shore for this trip and hopefully come back again some time. What are some of the best things to see and do on the south shore? I have heard there are some nice beaches and hiking and kayaking. For the most part we just want to be near the ocean. We come from smack dab in the middle of the continent so spending time on or near the ocean will be amazing!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape breton advice please

We are heading back for our 3rd visit in a couple days. We too honeymooned in NS in 2007 (Stayed at a B&B in Centreville) and did day trips from one location.

You will love it!

Check out this link for information on South West Nova Scotia.

http://www.destinationsouthwestnova.com/

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape breton advice please

There are gorgeous beaches and ocean scenery all along the South Shore.

If you are anywhere near middle West Pubnico at mealtime be sure to go to the Red Cap Motel for their haddock with lobster sauce. (Or for breakfast the scrambled eggs with lobster sauce.)

6. Re: cape breton advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island