We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provincial Parks

ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Provincial Parks

Hi all.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Nova Scotia / Cape Breton

the last week of July. I'm looking for input on what Provincial

Parks are best to stay at.

Any info would be great.

Thank you very much.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provincial Parks

I guess that would at least partly depend upon where you want to go and what you want to see.

If you are going to Louisbourg, the park at the Mira River is great. For the Cabot Trail you could stay in the National Park.

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/misc/capebreton.asp

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/mira.asp

www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index.aspx

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provincial Parks

As you mention Nova Scotia/Cape Breton, outside of what maryann has mentioned, on mainland NS my top picks would be Cape Chignecto Park and Five Islands on the upper Bay of Fundy and Thomas Raddall near Liverpool on the Soth Shore. Cape Chignecto because its the largest, wildest provincial park in the province with some of the best hiking in eastern Canada. A place of towering cliffs and sea stacks, spectacular scenery, wildlife and big tides. But it is all walk or hike in campsites, making for a quiet, natural experience if your the real outdoor types. Here are some photos www.glooscaptrail.com/gallery/index.cfm…

Five Islands for some nice hikes and a great tidal experience as long as you take the proper precautions and follow a ebbing tide out and turn back before the tide gets on the flood cycle. Very picturesque.

Thomas Raddall for its sea shore location with nice sand beaches, exploring nearby Kejimkujik seaside adjunct and the dunes.

Edited: 11 June 2011, 00:18
ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Provincial Parks

Thank you so much. We really don't have an itinerary set as of yet,

we may just wing it as we go. I would like to have a couple of reservations at some Parks as I'm sure they fill up quickly in the summer.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provincial Parks

are you in a camper, tenting or what ???

How many days on the ground do you have for Nova scotia???

ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Provincial Parks

We are in an extended van that we can sleep in. We will

have 8 days to spend in Nova Scotia.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provincial Parks

Well, the Cabot Trail has several places for camping and in the Highlands Park are the best . You can be right by the ocean at the Corney Brook campsite just inside the Park, and look to the horizon. While not on the West exactly, there is the famous Meat Cove too. There are many good parks all around the province really ,public and private but suggest you concentration on locations along the coastal routes, The Shubie Park in Dartmouth is good for a Halifax day ;this is one to reserve ahead or you can stay out of the City and come in for a day and leave by night.

7. Re: Provincial Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island