We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

Really think through what the necessities are when you are travelling to Yellowknife and put them in your carry on luggage and wear some of it.

Our hold luggage was "lost" we had travelled from Australia where it was +28/82 degrees to Yellowknife were it was -28/-18 degrees. All of our cold weather gear was in our luggage.

I would have thought that it was just our bad luck but there were quite a few people on the same plane who experienced the same thing. We met another guy who had flown in the day before and had his luggage lost, he got it back the next day. We met a couple who still didn't have their luggage 5 days later. Some of the locals who have heard our story are not surprised. So far it's been 2 days for us. They know where it is (Calgary), they just can't get it here (I don't know why).

I had no gloves, hat, thermals, boots etc so had to rent them here. Luckily there are places to rent gear, especially if you are doing a tour. And I found this post on renting clothes if you don't have a tour booked ykonline.ca/where-to-rent-winter-clothing-in…

So as I said in my first sentence, pack or wear the necessities, there seems to be a higher chance of you not getting your luggage than on other flights. I'm not complaining about the airline (or even mentioning it) because I really only want to make sure you are prepapred.

Mentioned in this post
Yellowknife
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

Sorry for the inconvenience. My only issue going to YK was that I had a single carry on bag that is 'legal'. When it came time to put it in the overhead compartment it was an extremely tight fit. I did get it in but it was also a chore to get it out. I realize in your case you didn't have the option as I did due to your bulky winter wear.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

Thank you very much for such a positive message.

a very good reminder to be prepared when one has connecting flights.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

It's probably a conspiracy by the clothing rental people, arranging with the airlines to create a demand :-)

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
398 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

Thank you for sharing your tip/ reminder on the forum!

It's something we (locals) probably often forget to mention and it may not be obvious to travelers from outside of Canada.

Also worth mentioning that Yellowknife airport is really tiny, so expect to get off the plane and walk outside, on the airport tarmac, for a minute or two, before reaching the door to the terminal. There are no bridges or corridors that would lead you from the plane to the terminal building (or vice-versa) - you will walk outside.

Therefore having hats, scarf, gloves etc with you/ on you in the wintertime is so important.

Thanks again for this great tip! Hope you'll get your bags delivered in no time and hope you enjoy your stay here!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

A really good tip in the post above. When the plane is loading and unloading the entry door is open making the inside of the plane in the front half super cold if it is freezing outdoors.

6. Re: Importance of Carry on Luggage on flights into Yellowknife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2018, 16:17
;