We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes it is expensive but......

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
577 reviews
Save Topic
Yes it is expensive but......

It is not cheap to dine or stay in YK but it is possible to cut some expenses. There are a number of free places to visit such as the Legislature, Prince of Wales Museum, visitors Centre and shopping. between the Ledge, POW and visitors centre I spent almost a full day. There is a lot of scenery and parks that can also be visited for free.

I took some CDN McDonalds coupons which they honored. I had a few meals there but there are a lot of restaurants with some of the best food I have had anywhere on my travels. Just go to Trip Adviser "restaurants" to read the reviews and you can't go wrong. At the Quarry Restaurant in the Nova Chateau I had the Chef's special which was excellent value. Most restaurants have these specials.

You can also pick up breakfast items or ready made meals at a grocery store such as the indepent store in the centre of YK as i did to have meals in your room.

to cut the cost of accommodations there are also a lot of private homes with B&B being a great example. i stayed at the birches and didn't have breakfast as my room had a kitchenette in it.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,380 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes it is expensive but......

I don't understand this:

"I took some CDN McDonalds coupons which they honored"

If by that you mean you took some Canadian McDonalds coupons, why would you think they wouldn't honour them? Yellowknife is in Canada...

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
398 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes it is expensive but......

Thank you for sharing your experience in your posts! Perhaps you could write up a Trip Report to share all your observations and tips? In any case I'm sure this will help other travelers a lot!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Yellowknife. Shame about missing aurora, but perhaps it just means you'll visit us again one day? :) Thanks again for sharing!

Mentioned in this post
Yellowknife
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories, Canada
Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes it is expensive but......

Prices are higher in YK at all restaurants including McDonalds. It is up to the restaurant if they accept the coupons as stated on the reverse. By using the coupon in YK I got a significantly higher discount than I would of if I used it in Alberta. They did not receive these coupons at the homes in YK so I was suprized their kiosk system let me use it.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes it is expensive but......

Incidentally phpr, I have come across situations here in Alberta where restaurants have refused to accept coupons issued by their chain. Under the Fair Trade Act it is up to the franchisee as to whether they accept the coupons or not.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
5. Re: Yes it is expensive but......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2018, 15:17
;