We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting March, walkable destinations for aurora viewing?

2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting March, walkable destinations for aurora viewing?

Greetings,

My family is visiting Yellowknife next week, we did book a 3 nights tour some time ago but since we are arriving a day early, we will have a free night/day to do whatever, and I don't want to waste a night of potential aurora viewing, but also don't want to walk/taxi all over the places since we'll probably be tired from flying all day.

We'll be staying at chateau Nova and I was thinking just walking accross the street to frame lake for a quick viewing if possible, I'm assuming it'd still be frozen and accessable this time of the year? Is that a reasonable thing to do in March? I'm not concerned about quality of the show just something interesting to look at the night we are arriving. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Yellowknife
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories, Canada
Chateau Nova Yellowknife
Chateau Nova Yellowknife
104 Reviews
Yellowknife, Canada
Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
398 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting March, walkable destinations for aurora viewing?

Frame Lake is indeed still frozen and it would be a good idea to walk over there; there's also a lovely trail that goes around the lake, you may want to try that. Close to your hotel is also small but pretty Niven Lake with its short trail. Depending on the time of your arrival, you may also want to consider walking to Old Town and onto the Great Slave Lake to check out the ice road and snowking castle.

Enjoy your trip!

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting March, walkable destinations for aurora viewing?

Thanks for the tip! Depending on when we arrive and get everything sorted, we might end up checking out Niven lake since its right there, will definitely head out and check out the town and more the next day!

3. Re: Visiting March, walkable destinations for aurora viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2018, 15:18
;