We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Topic
Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

I am planning to go to Yellowknife in this mid-August or mid-December, which period has a better chance to see aurora? I am afraid that it would be very cold in December and also think that there may be more activities to do during the daytime in August in Yellowknife, so I prefer August. However, hunting aurora is the most important thing to do so I still prefer to go there with a better chance. Can anyone give me some advice. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Yellowknife
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories, Canada
Whitehorse
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

August has 1 or 2 hours or darkness. In December, you have 17 hours of total darkness. I would go in December.

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
404 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

Hi There,

As already mentioned, we have a lot more darkness in December, that's for sure. However the skies are a lot clearer in August than in December...

I think you need to consider the following:

- other activities you plan to do and the overall experience you want when in Yellowknife: do keep in mind there are no guarantees for aurora regardless of the time of travel; which doesn't mean you can't have fun even if you're not at luck when it comes to the lights. August trip gives you a chance to experience plenty of summer activities such as summer hiking, fishing, boating, perhaps even camping. December trip will expose you to our "winter wonderland" and winter activities such as skidooing, dog sledding etc.

- you may also find that comparing prices may be helpful. E.g. December is recently becoming more and more popular with tourists which probably means higher accommodation prices and perhaps a need to book everything, including your day trips, a lot sooner.

Hope this helps! Happy Planning!

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

Thank you very much Justine. Further question, if I go in December, would the tours and restaurants e.t.c. be closed during the Christmas? Do I need to book the aurora viewing tour in advance for every night that I stayed in Yellowknife? I see that the some tours mentioned that if we book for 3 consecutive nights, there will be a larger change to see the aurora, however, if I can see on the first night or two, it seems a waste of money and time to go for all the nights.

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
404 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

Hi,

Yes, restaurants and shops are closed at Christmas time, e.g. between December 25th-26th. Some businesses also choose to close for the break early on December 24th and some stay closed longer, even until the New Year.

When it comes to the tours, I would contact the tour operators to ask them if they offer reimbursement for 2nd and/or 3rd night if you were in luck and witnessed the lights on a previous night. Worst that can happen is they'll say No.

Hope this helps!

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

Thank you so much!

6. Re: Mid-August or Mid-December 2017 to see aurora?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2018, 16:16