We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best dates in Auguest 2017 to aurora in Yellowknife

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Best dates in Auguest 2017 to aurora in Yellowknife

Hi

Can anyone living in Yellowknife infrom me which dates are best to have a chance to see Aurora in Yellowknife?

Best regards,

Edited: 18 February 2017, 14:10
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,242 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Best dates in Auguest 2017 to aurora in Yellowknife

this is the forecasts for solar activity www.aurora-service.org/aurora-forecast/

then you need a clear sky which nobody can forecast.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Best dates in Auguest 2017 to aurora in Yellowknife

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Yellowknife too. Just wondering would there be enough of darkness for Aurora? I've learnt that the sunset is around 8pm on avg in September and 9pm in Aug. Yet the website recommends that mid-end sep is good for aurora. Thanks if anyone can advise on this.

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
422 posts
392 reviews
3. Re: Best dates in Auguest 2017 to aurora in Yellowknife

Hello There!

I find August quite good for aurora - perhaps not always spectacular shows, but it definitely gives you a good chance to see some. If planning your trips for early August - you may need to stay up late waiting for the lights, e.g. till midnight or so. Of course one can never predict the timing or strength of the lights, regardless of the time of the year you're visiting.

If looking for difference between the two (Aug & Sep):

- August is considered the end of our summer. The days are visibly shorter (than in June etc), which means more darkness and aurora "returning" to our skies. The days are usually quite warm, but some nights may bring some chill. If planning to visit Yellowknife during the summer and to enjoy summer activities such as kayaking/ canoeing, boating, fishing, camping etc, August is a great time as it usually offers good enough weather to do all that and still gives you enough darkness for a chance to catch some aurora.

- September is usually our fall. Days are getting cooler and, depending on the timing of your visit and your comfort levels, it may no longer be a great time for camping, canoeing etc (or you'd need warmer clothing, more equipment etc). Good time for hiking, though. There's plenty of darkness at nighttime, which helps with the aurora. If you're lucky, you may plan your visit for that short period of time when all birch trees turn yellow. It can sometimes only last a week or two, but is quite a spectacular time of the year in my opinion. In other words, fall can be truly a wonderful time for a visit, but you need more layers on you and the summer activities may no longer be a comfortable option.

Hope this helps a bit! Happy planning to you both!

4. Re: Best dates in Auguest 2017 to aurora in Yellowknife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2018, 16:17