We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

Hello.I will be in Yellowknife march 21-24.I will stay in old town,hoping to see northernlights.First of all I am afraid of cold as temperature is over 20°c.,in Greece in March and never under 5.So I hope to come back alive.Then ,what about prices?Cost of taxi ,airport to old town? Cost of food? What about eating in a fast food? Are roads and pavements dangerous for people to walk on them? Are they still covered by ice on March? Can I see aurora without going out of town? Can I rent a car just only with EE driving licence and is it dangerous to drive on the roads in the town? Cost of car rental? I appreciate any other help.Thanks.(sorry for bad english)

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

March 2017 of course!

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
422 posts
392 reviews
2. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

Hi There!

The temperatures are quite unpredictable this winter, e.g. we're supposed to have only -4C tomorrow, while season average is around -20C to -40C. In March you could expect (in theory) similar weather, but again, it is hard to predict. Have plenty of layers and consider renting some winter gear if you're worried about the weather.

When it comes to prices, you could pay around $20-25 for a taxi, depending on the exact location; food in general is considered a bit on the expensive side, but again it depends on what sort of prices you're used to. Lunch downtown could cost you anything between $8-10 for a sandwich and up to $20 for some sushi or a soup& sandwich combo. Fastfood would be cheaper, especially if you go to Tim Hortons (not in downtown though) etc. Old Town restaurants in general are more expensive, so you may prefer to eat out in downtown instead.

In relation to roads and pavements, yes, they are all covered in ice and snow in March. It's not very slippery, though, as there's usually a lot of gravel or sand on them. There's not much traffic on our roads, so they probably wouldn't be considered dangerous; of course you have to be cautious and apply the usual common sense when it comes to that.

Aurora most definitely can be enjoyed in town, especially in Old Town around the lake; of course there are many factors that come into that, and there are never any guarantees for aurora.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by EE driving licence; if it's class B (normal passenger car) what you have, you should be fine. If in doubt, check online with your ministry of foreign affairs regarding the documents etc needed for folks of your nationality to drive in Canada. Unfortunately cannot help you with the cost of car rental. I would start with checking and comparing the rates online. The one thing to remember is that there are limits on the number of kilometers you can do during your trip; going over those means paying a lot more for your rental.

Hope this helps! Let us know if any further questions. Happy Planning!

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

Dear Justine,thank you very very much!!! I feel as I found a personal guide in tripadvisor!

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
422 posts
392 reviews
4. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

You're very welcome! Hopefully myself and other folks on this forum can help you with planning your Yellowknife trip!

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
5. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

Hi Justine28,

I have a couple of questions too..

I will visit next week, 3/7-11 and am considering to rent a car but still haven't decided yet.

1. My friend & I, just only 2 people will go.. so we want to take the cheapest option which is economy class (KIA RIO..) We won't take aurora tour operators for hunting aurora.. which means will go by ourselves late night as well.

I hope you could have advice about this..

2. As I googled... the time when I visit is pretty bad for weather and aurora activity level...

Next whole week is cloudy and activity level is calm.......... I know it's totally unpredictable.. but still this is too bad so I'm trying not to have any expectations to see aurora..

However, on the other hand, curious about how unpredictable and different with forecast..

If you have any experience, could you pls share?

Thanks in advance..

Yellowknife, Canada
Destination Expert
for Yellowknife
Level Contributor
422 posts
392 reviews
6. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

Hi There!

Renting a car is a great idea as it allows you to venture a bit on your own. Please however note that driving here - even though very easy-going and slow - is only enjoyable and safe if you have previous driving experience in similar conditions. E.g. the streets are currently covered with ice and snow, so make sure you drive safe; also with temperatures in -30s it can be difficult to start the car and drive it if you're not used to it (it is very harsh for the cars - check with your rental if the car is winterized and with your accommodation if they can offer you a receptacle to plug your car overnight).

If you're planning to drive out to the lake or outside of town at night time, make sure you go well prepared (GPS, hot drinks, dress extra warm, charged phones and keep them under your parka so that the battery doesn't die from the cold, etc) and it's probably better not to go too far away. All common sense stuff.

As to the aurora, it is impossible to predict it. Best advice is to check the forecast just before leaving and when you arrive in case the forecast changes.

You'll be in Yellowknife during quite an exciting time - the Snow King Castle just opened for the season! Hope you'll have a great time!

7. Re: 3 nights to yellowknife on march 21,2007.help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2018, 18:18