We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Tentatively we will be flying in Monday morning June 4th and leaving Friday evening June 8th. At first I thought we will leisurely do the Irish loop however it seems we don’t need 5 days for the Irish loop hence I wanna add trinity, bonavista and hopefully twillingate to the itinerary.

My tentative plan is:

Monday June 4th- St. John’s

Tuesday: drive south, boat tour, ferryland and overnight in trespassey

Wednesday: drive up to trinity and explore. Overnight trinity

Thursday: bonavista loop then onto twillingate. Overnight in gander area

Friday: drive back to St. John’s and catch an evening flight out.

I want to plan this trip as well paced but not rushed. Welcome all feedbacks.

Mentioned in this post
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
9 replies to this topic
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

<<I want to plan this trip as well paced but not rushed.>>

It is not well paced IMHO, it’s rushed. You are certainly not giving yourself enough time in the Bonavista area, (and what about Elliston?)

And Thursday - drive 4+ hours to Twillingate, quick view of the area, drive an hour and a half back to Gander?

Mentioned in this post
Bonavista
Bonavista
Newfoundland, Canada
Gander
Gander
Newfoundland, Canada
Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Two very important things to do before arriving in Newfoundland is, reservations for a vehicle and accommodations. Limited supply of both! Newfoundland is not the place for exploring for a bit, then finding accommodations. Limited accommodations are available in the small towns. It is now prime tourist season until Thanksgiving. A lot of people will have booked their accommodations 6 months to one year in advance.

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Thanks. We have flight and car booked already. Just looking at accommodations now. :) will I have enough time for bonavista area if we skip twiliingate?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Given the time constraint, I strongly agree that skipping Twillingate is best.

I think incorporating the Bonavista Peninsula is a good idea. Perhaps Monday & Tuesday nights in the St. John's area, then Wednesday and Thursday nights somewhere on the BP, then on Friday work your way back for your evening flight. That's a very short trip to Newfoundland, but a nice little one that gives you a taste of the place.

Mentioned in this post
Twillingate
Twillingate
Newfoundland, Canada
Bonavista
Bonavista
Newfoundland, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

June 4 -out of the airport by lunch, see The Rooms, Signal Hill, early supper, then maybe Cape Spear in the evening. If you get a nice day either Signal Hill or Cape Spear would be beautiful in the early evening.

June 5 Boat tour, see Ferryland. I know you want to see some of the Irish Loop, so continue to Trepassey for the night, but try not to drive after dusk. There are lots of moose on the southern shore and they are hard to see once dusk begins.

June 6 Drive to Trinity and enjoy time there.

June 7 Drive 45 minutes to Bonavista and visit the sites there. Maybe drive 10 minutes to Elliston to see the Sealers Memorial, puffin site, and the root cellars. You could return to Trinity or stay in Bonavista, your choice.

June 8 return to St. John’s, you might have time to take a short detour to Brigus and Cupids on the way. Use Route 70, it’s a really nice area, worth a stop (good place for lunch) and only 20 minutes off the main highway.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,792 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Ferryland
Ferryland
58 Reviews
Ferryland, Canada
Trinity
Trinity
Newfoundland, Canada
Bonavista
Bonavista
Newfoundland, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Thanks Janidd. This sounds exactly what we want to do!

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
222 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

Last Fall we had a four night trip to Newfoundland. This is the trip report I posted. We did not do the Irish Loop but I think you might find some of it interesting.

Day 1 - having obtained our rental car we drove in to the city of St John’s. We walked around town - the harbour, George St. We had lunch at a very nice restaurant on the water at the harbour. Took the hop on hop off bus, which really is just a city bus with no commentary. It's inexpensive and takes you up to the top of Signal Hill and stops at a number of attractions. We got off at Signal Hlll, very interesting and killer view. Hiked down to the Chocolate Cafe - very nice - and then took the bus back to town. Checked in to the Murray Premises Hotel – very convenient to downtown. Went out to Christian’s to be screeched in and then to a local restaurant for dinner, where we were flanked on either side by people from Vancouver and West Kelowna!

Day 2 - we drove from St John’s to Cape Bonavista on Hwy 1 as far as the Hwy 230 turnoff. We drove up this very scenic road to Cape Bonavista which was very beautiful, wild and windswept. A nice interpretive centre and lighthouse. Drove through Trinity and New Bonavista on the way to Clarenville. Stopped there for the night in a hotel.

Day 3 - From Clarenville we started on Hwy 1 until we got to the turnoff for Rte 80. We followed the 80 up on the Baccalieu trail, through all the little towns. We stopped in Heart’s Content at the harbour. It was our favourite place that day. We continued on driving that coast and found Grates Cove – with some help from a man on an ATV. We ended up in Grates Cove – extremely hilly and small and went to the Grates Cove Studio restaurant. Old schoolhouse which has been repurposed into a studio and restaurant. We ate great food there, cod coubillion and Korean veggie pancake with partridgeberry tea. We then drove on Rte 70 on the other side of the peninsula. Stopped at the Walmart in Carbonear for some essentials and at the MacDonald’s for an ice cream cone where the 19 year old woman behind the counter asked ‘what can I get you my treasure’!! Then we drove on back to St John’s. There we spent another night in the Comfort Inn Airport Hotel.

Drove to the airport the next day and flew to Halifax. This was our Newfoundland adventure. We did see a couple of puffins but it really was the wrong time of year for puffins, whales, and icebergs. It was an awful lot of driving in a short period of time but with four days, I would not have done anything different. We loved what we saw and the people we met.

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
2,792 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Murray Premises Hotel
Murray Premises Hotel
631 Reviews
St. John's, Canada
Bonavista
Bonavista
Newfoundland, Canada
Trinity
Trinity
Newfoundland, Canada
Clarenville
Clarenville
Newfoundland, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

@chrisKelowna_BC

Thanks for your mini trip report.

Don't you just love the way Newfoundlanders speak. Loved your reference from the girl at McDonald's. Out around the bay you will hear, "my love", "my duckie", "whatta at b'y". I moved to Newfoundland two years ago from Toronto and still haven't added the local flavor to my vocabulary. Iam sure that will come in time.

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
A P
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?

That's way too much to do in 5 days. I think you might feel a little rushed - unless that's how you like your vacations.

Reply to: 5 days Avalon + trinity, bonavista and twillingate?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted