We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report September 30-October 2

new york
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
29 reviews
Trip Report September 30-October 2

I apologize in advance for the looooong post. I read these boards for months prior to my trip so want to thank everyone for posting here. I spent the first 2 nights of my trip in Whistler then headed for Victoria.

Unfortunately September 30 was rainy and foggy, therefore the views on the drive down from Whistler weren't fully appreciated. I took an 11:00 ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo. The ferries are very nice with lots of seating and a decent cafeteria. I had lunch aboard the ferry and looked out the windows into the fog.

As I drove to Victoria the rain became very light so I decided to make some pit stops before the city. My first stop was Fisgard Lighthouse and Fort Rodd Hill. There is a short walk to the lighthouse with displays inside. There were lots of deer around enjoying lunch from the apple trees. Great pit stop.

Next on the agenda was some pictures at Hatley Castle which has been used in many movie and tv shows but is now part of a university. It was another 30 minutes or so to the Marriott. This hotel was fine but the furnishings weren't really my style.

I wandered down to the Inner Harbor and it was starting to rain a little more. I ducked into Milestones for a drink on the water then headed for a walk further along the harbor and over to dinner at Zambri'sn which I enjoyed. It was no longer raining so I walked back to the harbor for pictures of the Parliament building lights then a quick walk back to the hotel for the night.

5 replies to this topic
new york
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report September 30-October 2

October 1

Still lightly raining today. I walked to Beacon Hill Park and spent quite a bit longer wandering through here and taking pics than I had anticipated. I checked out the Totem Pole and Mile One Marker. I continued to walk along the seaside on Dallas Road to Fisherman's Wharf. My feet wanted a bit of a break so I jumped on a water taxi to Songhees. I thought these taxis/little ferries were so cute! Neat way to get around.

From here I walked to Spinakker's Pub for a drink and snack. I liked this place with a nice water view. Thankful for the rest it was time to continue on along the harbor across Johnson Street bridge into Chinatown. I had to take a walk down Fan Tan Alley which was a cool laneway of shops. I continued to wander, walking down Trounce Alley and ended up at La Taqueria. It is counter service here - had just a fair quesadilla but pretty good margarita (have to have priorities).

I continued to stroll around the downtown area with a destination of the Royal BC Museum. This is a nice museum though I probably didn't spend as much time reading the exhibits as I should have. I then checked out the Totem Poles in Thunderbird Park. The sun was actually making a late day appearance so I walked along the inner harbor again then enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio at Commons Kitchen. I headed back to the museum for a 6 pm Imax movie (recommend the one about the ocean). Another walk along the harbor and look at the Parliament Building before heading to Bart's Pub next to my hotel for dinner.

October 2

It was fairly nice this morning so took one last walk along the inner harbor. I did a couple of drive-bys for photos of the exterior of the Emily Carr house and Craigdarroch Castle. I wanted to make it to Butchart Gardens for 9 am opening but I was closer to 9:30. I wasn't sure what to expect with an October visit to the gardens but I was blown away by them. Really beautiful. I spent about 2 hours here and made some purchases in the gift shop. I then caught a 1 pm ferry over to Vancouver.

Overall I had a nice stay here though wish there was better visibility across the harbor for pics. I could have used one more day here (or at least half day). Would have liked to take the free tour of parliament and more of the water taxis.

Thanks again to the posters here who helped me plan my trip (even unknowingly)

Edited: 15 October 2018, 06:03
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,356 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report September 30-October 2

Sounds like you had a great time in one of my favorite cities!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,095 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report September 30-October 2

Now added to the TR Collection.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report September 30-October 2

Another great report! So glad you went to Beacon Hill Park; even in the rain it is a wonderful place to roam :) Did you happen to see any of the black squirrels there. That is the only place I have ever seen them, so pretty.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 08:51
new york
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report September 30-October 2

Yes, I saw a few black squirrels. It's so funny because I live close to the Canadian border and I have tons or gray squirrels in my yard but once I cross the border to Canada they are black.

Reply to: Trip Report September 30-October 2
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted