We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC Ferries Connector

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
23 reviews
BC Ferries Connector

I'll be travelling in early July next year, so would it be best to purchase tickets in advance for both the bus and the ferry? Can one ticket be purchased for both? I mean, not purchase now but maybe 1-2 months before.

I'm staying at Capital CityCentre Hotel on Douglas Street and website has this information on how to get from the terminal to the hotel (so I assume I'd have to reverse the journey to get back to the terminal to go to Vancouver, correct?)

Bus: Take Bus #70 from the BC Ferry terminal at Swartz Bay. Its route is directly to Victoria. Tell the driver your are going to the CityCenter Hotel and ask to get off at the Discovery Street stop. You will see the hotel on the other side of the street.

Edited: 12 October 2018, 15:45
22 replies to this topic
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
152 reviews
1. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Your bus fare includes the ferry fare.

While there is no savings in purchasing in advance it’s best to book ahead, especially if you want a particular time.

You board the bus in Victoria, your luggage goes under the bus. Bus drives to Swartz Bay and then on to the ferry. You leave the bus to go up to the lounges/ seats and enjoy the crossing. The most scenic part is the first half hour to forty five minutes as the ferry makes its way through the southern Gulf Islands, including Active Pass. Go outside for great views. Watch for eagles.

You can eat on the ferry as well. ( we usually wait till through the Gulf Islands)

The crossing takes about 1.5 hours. As the ferry nears a Tswassen there will be announcements about returning to your vehicle or bus.

You go back down and board the bus. Ferry docks, bus drives off and makes its way to Pacific Central Station ( also the train station) You get off here, collect bags.

About 4 hours total travel time from boarding bus in Victoria to getting off in Vancouver.

Make your way out of the station to either grab a cab or you will see Main Street skytrain station dead ahead . Take any train one stop to Chinatown/ Rogers Arena stop. Get off and short walk to Y Hotel ( think this is where you’re booked?)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Your information in the post assumes you are using public transit to get to the ferry. Directions in post #1 are for BCFerries Connector. The Connector is a private bus service operated by Wilson’s transport on contract to the ferry corporation.

The BC Ferries Connector picks up behind the Empress Hotel .

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
1 review
3. Re: BC Ferries Connector

"You can eat on the ferry as well."

Yes-if you've lost all hope.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
152 reviews
4. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Sam lol. ..it’s not gourmet but you’ll survive....prepackaged food. Fries are soso. Best bet is fried eggs cooked to order. Hard to muck up a fried egg.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Yes booked at the YWCA. Yes, will be easier to go from PCC to hotel, went that way when I went to Whistler, I think it'll be easier that way.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
69,092 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Vanessa ~

For your question about how to get from Vancouver to City Centre Hotel on Douglas @ Discovery St in Victoria.

You do not have to take public transit from Swartz Bay to the hotel. On the BCF Connector's "Select your destination" page, you would select:

[From] Vancouver

[To] Victoria

[Pick up Location] Pacific Central Station

[Drop off Location] Enroute Stop - Douglas and Discovery. You will be let off at this intersection, the driver will get your luggage out of the hold and you will only need to walk about 50 metres to the hotel across the street.

You then select the sailing that you want and finish the purchase process.

The fare includes the ferry fare. The bus carries you onto the ferry and off the ferry at the other side. You go up to the passenger decks to enjoy the 1.5 hour ride.

To go back to Vancouver is a little more inconvenient. The first Enroute pick up stop after the bus terminus is a 20 minutes walk north of the hotel at Douglas & Finlayson. The Connector terminus is a 15 minute walk south to downtown at 721 Douglas St. Here is the map: https://goo.gl/maps/fYY9THKpRNQ2

I would go to the terminus. You would at least have the opportunity of getting on the bus closer to the head of the line to choose a seat that you like. I'd be at the Victoria bus depot about 40 min ahead of departure.

So for your return trip to Vancouver, on the "Select your destination" page, you would choose:

[From] Victoria

[To] Vancouver

[Pick up Location] Victoria Bus Depot

[Drop off Location] Vancouver Bus Depot (I think you are spending a night or two in Vancouver before flying to Alberta.)

http://bcfconnector.com/

For a trip in early July, I would purchase tickets about 4-6 weeks ahead. If it's the Canada Day long weekend, (28, 29, 30 June or 1 July) maybe 6-8 weeks ahead.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
152 reviews
7. Re: BC Ferries Connector

I thought the OP was flying into Victoria ( transiting through YVR) from Melbourne. Victoria airport to hotel (shuttle or cab) , BC ferries Connector Victoria to Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
69,092 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Hmm, I see what you mean. I interpreted para 2 in the OP a bit differently. Vanessa has posted many versions of her itinerary. Not sure what the latest plan actually is. Anyway, if she means Vic to Van, she's got the Connector info at this point.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,611 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: BC Ferries Connector

I feel like some clarification is needed:

There is the BC Connector coach service which travels downtown to downtown and is about $50 for the bus + the ferry fare, and then there is public transit which connects to the BC ferries terminals on both sides and is about $4 per trip (to total of $8 plus the ferry fare).

BC Connector is smooth and easy, they keep your luggage secure on the coach so you don't have to deal with that on the crossing, no stops on the way, comfortable and efficient. However, for the savings, public transit isn't too bad either. Slower, you have to haul your luggage around, but its worth comparing the options.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
69,092 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: BC Ferries Connector

Just to add on to what has been said so far.

The fare showing in the BC Connector reservation page is the total fare. From downtown to downtown, that fee/fare/purchase is $70.23.

Coach fare = $49.50 + $1 fuel surcharge + 5% tax. Ferry fare = $17.20, tax is included. That total = $70.23.

Buying a Connector ticket for the coach On board a ferry to either downtown Vancouver or downtown Victoria will cost $32.55. The passenger pays the walk on ferry fare separately at the ferry ticket booth.

Whatever the fare is for the selected fields in the Connector website is the total cost for those selections.

Reply to: BC Ferries Connector
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted