We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

HK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

I'll be going to Vancouver with my family (my son aged 13) in August and plan to spend 8-9 days in Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island.

We would like to do some hiking (easy one), whale watching, bear watching, kayaking (easy one too). It seems that all places along the route can do these activities and claim themselves to be the best, how should I allocate the nights? Should I spend more time in Sunshine Coast or in Vancouver Island? Your assistance is highly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Without knowing your preferences, its difficult to say. The Sunshine Coast and the east side of Vancouver Island are just facing sides of the same body of water and reasonably similar. I'd say the main difference is that the Sunshine Coast is less developed and more "cottage country" whereas Vancouver Island is residential and is more developed with services and commercial development.

You also don't say which part of Vancouver Island you intend to visit. Are you just doing the loop between Nanaimo and Comox, or are you planning to extend your journey to other parts of the island.

It is all very nice, there is plenty to see and do and you can't really go too far wrong, so carry on with your research and perhaps give us a bit more detail to work with.

HK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

Thanks, Vancouverite67. I still haven't decided which part of Vancouver Island I'll visit. I'm greedy and want to go to all. however, i have only 8-9 days in Vancouver Island + Sunshine Coast, i figure i couldn't go to too many places. i guess i'll just stay on the east side of Vancouver Island. Any recommendation of places that I should go for the activities I'm interested in + the bases that i should stay in Vancouver Island and Sunshine Coast? I'll be driving my car and would like to stay from the city.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,726 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

lol. You're getting several criss crossed posts between your two threads.

HK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

yes, MuftiMixandmatch. I was worried that people just go to one forum and would miss the advice of experts in other areas!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,072 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

suggest you delete this thread ( as the original poster you can do that) and then you'll have all advice on the other one. Most of us look at the BC forum overall

6. Re: Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 00:17