We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cab far from airport to downtown?

noh
st. petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
cab far from airport to downtown?

Anyone know roughly how much it will be for four people, with luggage for a cruise?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

$35-ish dollars. You may need a minivan, which the queue attendant will obviously notice and call up one for you. Right outside the arrivals exit door.

noh
st. petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

Thamks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

It depends on the time of day as well. Rush hours will add significantly to total time from airport to downtown.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 04:47
Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

can i ask... We are staying in the Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver .....for a 6am flight to Ohio, should i order the taxi the night before or just ring for a taxi?

Is 2.30am to early ? (always been told to allow 3 hours check in for an international flight)

I am sure i read somewhere here in the forums, that taxis will take a credit card payment or should i have the cash, If cash, would $50 be suffiecient?

21 days till we arrive in your beautiful country...

cheers from Australia

sharon

Edited: 01 May 2013, 07:20
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

You will be flying out of the USA end of the International terminal. The US Customs officers do not start work for US preclearance until 5 am. So plan to get to the airport about 4:30 for check in and baggage drop right after check in, then you go through security and then .... wait in line until 5 am to get into the US Customs hall before walking (10 min max?) to your gate. I've never found it a problem to get to my American gate in time. International departures are slightly different for timing.

Yes, order your taxi the night before. Wheels of the taxi rolling at 4 am would do it at that time of the morning. US departures are right inside the front door, pretty straightforward all around. An extra 15 min if you're uncomfortable with 4h00.

Taxis do take credit cards. It should cost $25-30 at that time of the morning and about 20 minutes, + tip.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

thanks for the quick reply!

So to confirm, we could leave the hotel at 4am and still be ontime. As we have cheap flights, its hand held luggage only, so thats one less worry.

Just dont want to miss the flight as we did en-route from LA to Halifax a few years ago as we didnt allow enough time in Newark airport for the international leg!

If we pay by credit card, do we add the tip (is $5 enough?) or pay the tip by cash? Coming from Australia, we are not use to tipping

shazz

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

Yes 4 am will be plenty of time. As Mufti has noted the US Customs doesn't open until 5 am. At that time of day it will be a 20 minute ride to the airport..we take a 6 am flight to Mexico, we live in a suburb of vancouver and we leave home at 4 am so no worries there. You should be able to check in online the night before and once at the terminal you will first go through security and then Customs. you clear US Customs and immigration in Vancouver before your departure to Ohio. Once you're in the gate area there is a Starbucks and a Tim Hortons so you can get coffee and a bun if you have time. No need to leave at 2:30 am!!

if you are a real worry wart you could look at doing your last night at the Fairmont Hotel at the airport..it's a lovely facility and right above the US departures terminal...have a last dinner in Vancouver and take the Canada Line to the airport.. check in to the Fairmont.. have a nightcap and watch the planes land.. then roll out of bed at 4, go through security at 4:30 and no cab to worry about.

With a taxi you can either add a tip to the visa or give cash.. your choice..and remember a tip is not obligatory... if the driver has done a good job with your bags,holding open doors etc then you may want to tip.. but it's totally up to you.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 09:22
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

What T47 said. :-)

Yes you can add the tip onto your CC if you like. The hand held device may give you some options, such as a % sign, a $ sign or something else that I never use. If you choose the $ symbol, you would then add about 15% of what the fare is. We are a tipping culture and 15% is a middle of the road amount. It will be fine.

Or if you have 13-15% in left over Canadian money on you, then you could bypass the tip option on the hand held device, go straight to the fare only amount, then pass your cash to the driver. You may want to use your CC in the terminal for coffee, sandwich, tea, muffin. Or you may want to reserve $10 cash for a couple of coffees/scones.

9. Re: cab far from airport to downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 14:16