We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip lining - Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
493 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Zip lining - Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

Going to Vancouver in August. On my things to do is visit Grouse Mountain (the shows, gondola etc...) and I saw they have zip lining available. Initially thought we would combine time at Grouse and do zip lining. A friend of mine who lives in Vancouver suggested doing zip lining in Whistler. We weren't planning on visiting Whistler but could rearrange schedule if zip lining better, etc... Assuming going to Whistler will take an entire day.

Anyone done the ziplining at either spot? Thanks, LL

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip lining - Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

I don't have alot of time to explain so will keep this short. IF you have the time to go to Whistler, then do the Zip with Ziptrek in Whistler, they have both a beginners tour and one with more altitude and distance. However don't do this just for the zipline, make a day of it, as it does take 2 hours to get there and 2 horus back. Spend some time in the village, go up the Whistler Gondola and across the Peak to Peak. Stay for dinner before driving back to Vancouver. If you don't have the time do to this, then Grouse is just as good as any. I'm not usually a fan of Grouse (if I had the option) only because of their breaking system and harness as I find it uncomfortable.

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
493 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip lining - Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

Thank you for reply. Totally agreed if we do Whistler it is an all day event as I knew it was a couple of hours to get there and good suggestion as to seeing the other things you mentioned. (I will check on Whistler forum to see items not to miss) But it sounds like your experience with the zipline is "better" at Whistler. We have done ziplining in Costa Rica and it was awesome.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip lining - Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

I have a blog where I wrote a blog post about things to do in Whistler if you don't ski - ziptrek being one of them. It'll give you a few ideas as for what to do for your day trip. Of course, by August it'll be the height of summer and the place will be shorts & t-shirt weather, with alpine flowers at the top of Whistler Mountain. Here's that blog post: 604pulse.com/2012/…

I also agree that Whistler's ziptrekking will be more impressive, and I think the Whistler Gondola/Peak2Peak will blow Grouse out of the water. If you have the time to go to Whistler, definitely go. Grouse is fine if you don't have the time to go to Whistler, but part of its novelty is being so close to Vancouver and having that view to look down over the city. Of course, if you have a car, you can always bypass Grouse and just drive up neighbouring Cypress Mountain as they have a lookout similar to what you'd get from Grouse - the main difference if that you're driving up there, you're not taking any gondola, and it's only a short 15 minute detour from the highway on your way to Whistler. It's worth it, I think.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 13:14
4. Re: Zip lining - Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:17