We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Cruise

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Cruise

Hello All. My family will be taking a Disney cruise in July. We live in Portland Oregon, is it best to drive a car up there or would a train be a better idea? Is long term parking available somewhere near the cruise departure?

I am also looking for somewhere close to the cruise departure, Disney of course suggests the Fairmont Waterfront, but are there any other hotels in the area I should consider, a starwood hotel so I could use points would be awesome. I have 3 kids from 8-3 so we will walk but not to far please!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Cruise

I'd suggest you have a look the Starwood Hotels website- there are at least 2 Starwood hotels in Vancouver - the Westin Grand and the Westin Bayshore. I'd recommend the latter if you are travelling with a young family; its located on the water near Stanley Park and all that has to offer. Both Westins are a 5-minute cab ride to the cruise ship terminal.

Long-term parking near the cruise terminal is problematic. Something that you might find out more about at the Port of Vancouver website -

portmetrovancouver.com/en/…cruiseandtourism. Driving and taking the train are completely different travel experiences and I'm not sure which would work best for your family. You don't say how long you are staying in Vancouver post or pre cruise, but you can use public transit to get to most "must do's" on anyone's list.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Cruise

Long term parking is available with Cruisepark. It costs $120 per week. This is off site and then they shuttle you to the terminal. Information can be found on their website:

http://www.cruisepark.com/home.php

In addition you will be paying for parking at your hotel.

Things to consider:

- a car is not needed while in Vancouver. The public transportation system is excellent and lots of things are within walking distance from the Westin Bayshore. And lots of the popular Vancouver attractions will involve walking anyways: grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Granville Island, Stanley Park - so I would plan a way to become comfortable with walking (maybe a double stroller or stand and walk stroller). You will need something anyways for your ports-of-call

- if you take the train you do not need to worry about border waits

- as the p.p. mentioned taking the train is very different than car travel. I'm not sure of the cost of the train but it loks as though it could be lots of fun.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Cruise

driving across the border in July waits of 1-2 hrs is not uncommon. Amtrak train totally eliminates that problem and kids like the train. The station is downtown Vancouver and a short cab to any hotel. Vanc is so compact that any hotel in downtown will be close to cruise terminal

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,542 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Cruise

If you are driving your personal car up from Portland, you may find the cost of the train fare prohibitive. If it were me, I'd drive my car, and then take advantage of the Stay-and-Fly packages offered by some of the airport hotels. I think Accent Inn has the best deal

http://www.accentinns.com/vancouver-airport

(They no longer appear to be advertising a Stay-and-Fly package, but contact them anyway and ask about it. Otherwise you should find other airport hotels that offer one. The deal is you stay one night, and then get 7 - 30 days of free parking while you take your trip to where ever)

From there, you can head into downtown Vancouver and stay where ever you like. Plan to walk and use transit while in the city and then take your cruise.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Cruise

We stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel when we returned from a cruise in September. It's a short walk from the cruise ship terminal. It is new, the staff was exceptionally helpful and it was affordable (we booked through Expedia). We also enjoyed the restaurant in the hotel. Would gladly stay there again.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
150 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Cruise

Toadkiller,

Please post your trip report and what you decided on transportation. We, too, are taking our kids on Disney Cruise in Aug and blown away with flight tickets at $2000 for four of us. So, we're looking at flying to Seattle fm San Jose then drive (I'm not sure how to catch a train from Seatac).

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Cruise

We are flying to Seattle and taking the train. Our kids have never been on a train and we felt it would help with the border crossing. There are 4 adults and 4 children in our group. It was less expensive for us to travel by train than to fly into Vancouver. We are staying on the waterfront but only because others in our group wanted to be close to the terminal. We have 2 1/2 daya in Vancouver before the cruise. The only problem I see with the train is the departure times for the return trip to Seattle.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Cruise

Hi dad2twins ~ Welcome to TA.

It seems logical to ask your question on a thread that seems to be asking about what you would like to know also. But there are a few problems with doing that. One is that the Original Poster will be getting email notifications for answers to his/her questions. The answers now given will be confusing, will they be for you or for him/her? And most important, your questions deserve some personalized answers. For that you need to post a new thread. That way your question and your user name will be visible on the main forum page listings and those who answer your questions will be able to track how you're doing. Sometimes an answer triggers more ideas from another person that could help you out.

Below the reply box is a blue print "Ask a question." Click on that, choose a forum, create a topic and simply paste your post into the reply box.

9. Re: Disney Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 11:16