We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car rental Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
One way car rental Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

In August I'm flying into Vancouver. I want to pick up a car, drive up to Whistler, then over to Vancouver Island, drop off the car, get the ferry down to Seattle then bus / train back to Vancouver.

Has anyone got any tips on best way to get cheapest one way car rental, also does this itinerary seem sensible? I'm trying to minimise doubling back on ourselves, trying to keep costs low and also limit the length of time I need to rent a car. Quite happy to use public transport if it won't take too long and isn't over complicated.

I'm there for 3 weeks. 2 adults in our 30s. I welcome all suggestions!

3 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,622 posts
148 reviews
1. Re: One way car rental Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

Why not contact the car rental agency you are looking at and ask. Might even be info on their website.

Cheers

England, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: One way car rental Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

Two other options to consider , As You are in the U.K You can get a car through Canadian affair using Avis and not incur drop off charges or You could pick up the car in Vancouver and take the ferry back to Vancouver from the island and get a return train to and from Seattle .

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,730 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: One way car rental Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

With Canadian Affair you can rent in Vancouver and drop in Victoria with no drop fee..then Clipper to Seattle and amtrak back to Vancouver..it makes a nice circle tour and imo better than BC ferry and drive across border. Border waits are totally unpredictable especially in the summer..20 minutes to 3 hours.

Reply to: One way car rental Vancouver to Vancouver Island.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted