We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AWD Car rental in Vancouver

Cooma, Australia
9 posts
AWD Car rental in Vancouver

Hello there, my husband and I are traveling to Vancouver and driving up to BANF .

We would like to hire a AWD SUV or 4WD (yes we are experienced driving in snow conditions, AWD and AWD drivers. We live in the Snowy Mountains...yes we have snow in Australia).

I am having problems finding one to hire.

The hire companies advertise SUV's but unfortunately they do not give any specifications. They only list if its a compact, mid size etc, make, model, SUV or similar.

Can any one help with a suggestion or advise on how to ensure when we book are are going to get an AWD.

We are in Canada in May.

Thank you in advance

19 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
214 reviews
1. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

Why? AWD isn't all that common for locals.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

Hi, we are currently renting a AWD with snow tyres from Access-rent-a-car which is in downtown Vancouver. We chose the midsize SUV and it has been great for the 3 weeks we've used it so far. Have driven in all conditions on our ski trip,suggest you have a look at their website

Cooma, Australia
9 posts
3. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

thanks for responding so quickly. We have a AWD here in Australia and would like the same in Canada.

calgary
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

Travelling in May you shouldn't have to worry too much about driving in snow, so won't need an AWD or SUV.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
152 reviews
5. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

You're not going to encounter much snow on the roads in May, even in the Rockies. Possibly a flurry but certainly nothing requiring AWD. Rentals will all be of a certain classs..no guarantee of a specific car. You might try finding a company that uses Toyota Rav 4 as I believe they are AWD if you have to have one.

Cooma, Australia
9 posts
6. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

thanks for your prompt response. I've had a look at Access Rent A Car's web site and as soon as we get into May the only cars available listed are SUV - not giving me any indication if its a FWD or AWD. ;0(

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
200 reviews
7. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

National car rental has lots of Hyundai,Mazda and Subaru products. Rent something in the SUV category and then swap out when you go to pick up if they haven't picked one with AWD. There is usually adequate stock of cars to pick from in May.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,343 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

LOL...rode the train yesterday with a guy who's been here for four years following on 30 years in Melbourne. His words: they don't have anything you might call snow in Australia. I've skiied Threadbo and Perisher. Yes, there is snow, but it's like the difference between eating a can of chilli and munching down on a jalapeño. There's snow...and then there's snow. What we do have is far superior road clearing, but then, we need it.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,847 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

AWD is nice to have (I drive a small SUV with AWD), but for winter driving, it is NO substitute for having proper snow tires (the ones with the mountain and snowflake icon on the sidewall) and most importantly, when conditions are not ideal, slowing down and allowing for longer stopping distances.

However, as stated, in May, especially the last half of May, you are not likely to encounter winter driving conditions. There may be a snow flurry in the mountains, but unless it is coming down like gangbusters, it will melt on contact with the road, and it's not likely to accumulate at all.

Cooma, Australia
9 posts
10. Re: AWD Car rental in Vancouver

Thanks.. any ideas on AWD rental?

Reply to: AWD Car rental in Vancouver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted