We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

Level Contributor
40 posts
Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

to optimize on one's there?

What are the not to be missed highlights.

What area is the best one to stay?

thanks,

Shawna

10 replies to this topic
Planet Insectia
Level Contributor
5,674 posts
578 reviews
216 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

People go there to walk on the beach within or even outside the park, or along the shore.(some walks around Ucluelet) Maybe a boat trip to the hot springs (if the spring is still running). Either Tofino or Ucluelet will do. Last trip my wife and I did, we didn't even go into Tofino.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44,393 posts
69 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

I"m starting to think you are writing a magazine article...

One hotel is fine.

https://tourismtofino.com/things-to-do/

Kootenay Rockies...
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
23 reviews
13 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

When?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,871 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

August.

Vancouver and Whistler for 3-4 nights each. To add in Tofino before or after Whistler, is the question. See other threads. :-)

Kootenay Rockies...
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
23 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

Other threads? ..making it more difficult for the volunteers on here to follow the question at hand…

Mom…. can I have a pop…. what do your dad say yesterday….?

I rest

Level Contributor
40 posts
6. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

In my defense ... if you look at my thread ... someone suggested asking my question on the TOFINO thread hence I did. Sometimes people are more familiar with Tofino on the Tofino thread ... I'm presuming .... and may never have stepped foot in Whistler and vice versa. I'm not trying to commit a crime or make it difficult ... I just was taking someone's advise to me on this very site. If it's an unwritten rule and I'm crossing a line, that is certainly not my intent. I apologize genuinely for upsetting you and retreat.

Richmond, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
69 reviews
106 helpful votes
7. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

Ignore the folks policing you. There are really no rules on TripAdvisor - you're allowed to post where and how you wish. If you want to break up your posts into the community forums, fine. If you want to do one all-encompassing post in the British Columbia forum, fine. It doesn't matter.

Going to Tofino is not about spending time in the tiny town of Tofino. It's just a catch phrase for spending time on the west coast of Vancouver Island to explore Pacific Rim National Park and the absolutely sublime nature found there - trees so large and old you had no idea such trees existed, rainforests that are so enchanting draped in moss and lichen with a lush understory, it feels like fairies or Ewoks will pay you a visit. Beaches with waves crashing into the shoreline where you can stroll and forget all about the modern day hustle and bustle. There are beachfront resorts you stay at "in Tofino" but they're not really in the town of Tofino, they're on the outskirts of town embedded in the rainforest overlooking the various beaches. Once you're in Tofino, everything is spread out between the tiny town of Tofino and the tiny town of Ucluelet, about 40km of oceanfront and temperate rainforest wilderness. You go there to unplug and connect with nature and not be in a rush to check things off list. There are no lists to check off. Just be at one with each other immersed in nature. That's it. A perfectly slow paced type vacation for a family. Stay in one hotel or resort or cabin the entire time and spend your days driving out to the various beaches and rainforest trails. Pop into town for lunch or to look at gift shops or pick up treats from the bakery or whatnot, but the bulk of your time will be spent just strolling gently along a beach and walking in the rainforest.

Whistler is all about being in an open air shopping mall village with luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, art galleries, spas, cafes, and retail chains. And you can walk from your hotel to the gondola and go up to the top of the mountain and go alpine hiking. You can walk to the Zipline company and go ziplining. You can rent bikes and go cycling around the valley trails. You can hop in your car and go for a short drive to some nearby lakes and trails. You can stroll to the Audain Art Museum or the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre or just park yourself on a restaurant patio and people watch and do happy hour. You can book some time at a spa. You can book yourself into a helicopter tour or a round of golf or downhill mountain biking. It's a place to be active in the mountains. It's less about gawking at mountain scenery, even though you're surrounded by mountains, Whistler is more about being active in the mountains for the work hard play hard llifestyle folks.

Edited: 03 May 2024, 03:17
Level Contributor
40 posts
8. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

I can not thank you enough .... first for releasing me from the guilt/yuckiness I felt for doing something that I hadn't a clue was "bad". I had just finished writing a post thanking people for taking the time to guide me.

I genuinely marvel at the devotion and selflessness involved in responding to someone's query and I appreciate it beyond measure.

Also, thanks for your beautifully crafted response. That really clarified things for me and helped me to decide where to prioritize for this particular visit.

If I can ever return the favour, please "holler" ... I'm not well travelled .... but I know my home town of Toronto inside and out. In fact, I'm about to embark on my second "staycation" lol.

Thanks again!

Shawna

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

Thank you for your response for me and the person asking.

Kootenay Rockies...
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
23 reviews
13 helpful votes
10. Re: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around

Post #7

I’ve written enough training procedure documents in my days to know that the information thats in your document is only information that people will have to work with.

If you start spreading that info out in multiple documents it’s just makes it harder to figure out.

In my defence, I don’t go looking for info in previous posts, unless there is a reference to that post.

Have a fabulous trip.

Soup.

Reply to: Is Tofino easily done in one hotel or must one travel around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tofino
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.