We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino Hotel, July '24

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
62 helpful votes
Tofino Hotel, July '24

am currently booked in an ocean front King with a deck walking out to the beach @ Long Beach Resort from July 23-26 3 nights and then booked for 2 nights at the NAMI Project in Ucluelet. My question for the group is...Should I keep my reservation at Long Beach Resort OR should I opt for a hotel in town that's cheaper by 1/4 and walkable (we'll have a car) at the Tofino Resort + Marina. I'm definitely not a hotel snob (something clean with a mini-fridge) but am a bit of a view snob IF it's worth it, especially since I'm traveling from the east coast. I'm not exactly going on vacation to save money, but if the TA forum recommends another alternative that's more cost effective that gives me the same bang for my buck then I'll opt there. It's hard to tell if I should splurge OR if I should go more budget conscious and then spend the savings on all of the good restaurants and maybe an excursion. ALL ADVICE welcome :)

17 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
26 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

To me an ocean view is always preferable.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
62 helpful votes
2. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

Thank you!!! Have you been to either hotel?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,685 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
3. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

If cost is not a consideration for you, an ocean view on the west coast of VI can't be beat. Demand in BC is high, rates have skyrocketed. Have you looked at Middle Beach Lodge? Long Beach Resort is a 4* accommodation, Middle Beach is a 3* one. I know personal comments are valued, but reviews are here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154942-d254778-Reviews-Long_Beach_Lodge_Resort-Tofino_Clayoquot_Sound_Alberni_Clayoquot_Regional_District_Vanc.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154942-d263472-Reviews-Middle_Beach_Lodge-Tofino_Clayoquot_Sound_Alberni_Clayoquot_Regional_District_Vancouver.html

Long Beach Resort also has the long crescent shaped sandy beach to walk for hours. Middle Beach has the view, but no beach like Long Beach.

Edited: 26 October 2023, 05:40
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

I'd stick with Long Beach Lodge for the beach & the sunset views. Mind you I just looked at their rates and they are outrageous, so I'd be tempted to shop around a bit for another place on either Cox Bay Beach or Mackenzie Beach.

Our go to in recent years has been the BW Tin Wis. All ocean view w/either a balcony or patio. The deluxe rms have kitchenette with 2 burner stove top although other rms have fridge/micro/coffee. There are also communal bbqs and firepits along the edge of the beach. Very nice property IMO.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44,291 posts
69 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

I just looked at NAMI (wow, that is some terrible AI writing on their website) because I hadn't heard of it and if the Tofino stay is even more than that, hmmmm....

Honestly, I don't think you need to move between Tofino and Uclulet. It really depends on your plans and objectives, but its a great spot for a 3-4 night break. If you are looking to cut costs, maybe reduce total time there down to three nights in one location. We don't know what the rest of your plan looks like, so its difficult to advise, but that's one option to consider.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
62 helpful votes
6. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

After a long day on the job I come back to read THESE nuggets of advice. Here’s my itin if this helps…

July21-23 Arrive Vancouver and stay at Douglas Autograph for 2 nights. I’ve done Vancouver 4 other times in summer and winter so just looking to putt around- love this city.

July 23- Take Tsawassen car ferry to Nanaimo and drive to Tofino (I just recently became aware of washes out roads and issues en route so am following Canada Dot for updates) and stay at Long Beach Resort

July 23-26- Long Beach Resort…The prices are cringe ($$$$) even with CAD to USD exchange rate but location and views look nice. I will check out those other hotels and see if I can’t find something more reasonable.

July 26-28- Stay at Nami Project in Ucluet. I realize this is approx 1 hour away but the views and hot tub on the deck really sold me.

July 29- Drive back to Vancouver and fly out.

I love love love the PNW- the misty mornings, the moody weather, rainforests, coffee, seafood, a glass of red wine at night, walking until my legs fall off, exploring. I’m trying to scale back on packing 72728 activities into this trip and just ‘go with the flow’ since I’m very Type A. I also wanted to add in 3 other stops to the north but had to reel myself in, and just take it easy. I believe in YOLO, sleeping when I’m dead, and waking up early and doing every activity under the sun but sometimes my travel partners don’t always love my speed, so I’m trying to be more accommodating.

This forum has always provided me with valuable advice so a HUGE thank you for the insight thus far.

So the question for the group- If I remove one place and just go with Tofino OR Ucluet, is there another can’t miss stop that I should add??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,685 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
7. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

July 23. Why go south to go northwest? Instead of the Tsawwassen to Nanaimo (Duke Point) ferry, you can head west to Horseshoe Bay for the ferry over to Nanaimo (Departure Bay). That change would save you an hour of travel.

July 29. Taking a flight out of Vancouver on the same day as driving/ferrying back from Vancouver Island is a risky business. There are mechanical problems that can take a ferry out of service at any time, staff shortages that will cause ferry cancellations. Much better to be in Vancouver for the night before your flight out.

BTW, the Pacific Northwest is more commonly considered to be WA,OR and ID. Most of us would say you want to visit Vancouver Island and Vancouver, which may or may not include the Lower Mainland and Whistler. SW BC has never caught on, nor has the term Salish Sea.

Do you mean, removing either Tofino or Ucluelet and find another stop in the area to add? or do you mean another stop somewhere else, between West Coast VI and Vancouver. Victoria is always a lovely city to visit. I would recommend 3N for a Victoria visit, but 2N would be alright too. You would just have to be more selective about what attractions and activities you took on. I would stay put at Tofino/Ucluelet though. There is plenty to do there for 4N (the last night back in Vancouver before your flight out.)

Edited: 26 October 2023, 10:07
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

Good advice to be back on the mainland the nt before your flight. I might chance it for a red eye departure. BUT... if you take Duke Point to Tsawwassen for your return trip (do come to Departure Bay when coming over) you are looking at leaving yourself a minimum of 9 hrs in advance of flt time (allowing 3 1/2 hrs for drive from Ukee + 1 hr prior check in for ferry reservation + 2 hr ferry + 30 mins drive to YVR + 2 hr prior airport check in)

Any unexpected snafu with traffic or the ferry & you might be hooped unless you build in buffer time too. ie an extra ferry departure that still get you there (approx. 2 hrs between ferries)

On that note, I'd plan for 4 nts on the Pacific Rim. Ucluelet has a rockier, less accessible coastline so a couple of nts on the beach Tofino way & a couple with a hot tub sounds great to me.

The wildfire damage along the road (#4) over to the west coast near Cameron Lake has been repaired and is open. The construction at Kennedy Lake that plagued us for 4 (?) years is also complete. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

I guess you could always split yr nts in Vancouver to 1 arrival & 1 departure and still have 5 nts on the Pacific Rim, but it sounds like you want to spend time in the city so that might not be ideal.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
62 helpful votes
9. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

This TA Forum has been infinitely helpful to my trip planning. THANK YOU. Love the advice about the ferry, especially around reliability, schedule, and location, and for the overall time savings. I'll shave off a night on the back end in Ucleut, and we'll spend our last night in Vancouver. I may even look into going to Victoria BUT might save it for another trip.

Thank you for the heads up about the roads post fire and construction. The road + ferry bits weren't even on my radar so I appreciate the intel. I'll continue to read the posts (and might post later for a recco closer to my trip) but for now I think I'm good with my original questions. A big thank you and hope everyone reading this has a great day.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
207 posts
10. Re: Tofino Hotel, July '24

Kelly, hop over to the Ucluelet TA page and check out my trip report from when I was in Ukee and Tofino at the end of Sept, I have some good restaurant and hiking recs in there :) have fun planning your trip!

Reply to: Tofino Hotel, July '24
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tofino
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.