We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 4

Ontario, Canada
3 posts
Highway 4

How challenging is it travelling to Tofino with highway 4 being 1 way? Deciding if it is worth it or if we should explore other parts of the island. Supposed to be there next week.

49 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
10 posts
41. Re: Highway 4

Thanks for the heads up! You also mentioned some issues concerning the ferries? I didn’t hear about that before but what issues should we consider?

Another full day closure is what we were worried about, luckily we are traveling Westbound on Monday and I really hope when we go back on Thursday they did manage to fix everything after all…

Concerning the connection with the ferry I feel like our only option left is to go to Horseshoe Bay really early and hope to get on the first ferry in the morning instead of the second that we have booked…. Obviously we’d rather had booked on the Tsawwassen 7.45 ferry but because our AirBnB host made it sound like it shouldn’t be a problem to make it at all, we let that opportunity pass…. Or do you think we should be able to get on that ferry without reservations as long as we get there early enough?

Amsterdam, The...
10 posts
42. Re: Highway 4

Posted twice by accident due to spotty WiFi on the plane… ;)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
43. Re: Highway 4

There are currently reservations available on the 745 am Tsawwassen to Duke Point ferry for Mon the 28th!!

Grab one now:)

Edited: 27 August 2023, 08:53
Amsterdam, The...
10 posts
44. Re: Highway 4

Oh no, I didn’t see this in time and now the bookings are sold out again. :( But thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep checking every now and then tomorrow!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
57 posts
45 reviews
45 helpful votes
45. Re: Highway 4

So, is there a mid-Septer2023 update to the highway 4 situation? As far as I can tell from Internet is that the road is open with minor delays here and there due to construction? Please locals share what ye know. Thank you in advance

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
210 reviews
121 helpful votes
46. Re: Highway 4

It's open. Be prepared for change if heavy rains arrive.

Planet Insectia
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
578 reviews
216 helpful votes
47. Re: Highway 4

Supposedly fully open. I was camping close by the last full day closure (~4 Km westbound line - almost all the way to Little Qualicum Falls PP - at ~1520). From what I understand, the crew has been removing (hopefully) anything that is near the edge and can be eroded by rain which is how I would approach securing the road. Remains to be seen how effective the work and overall strategy will be.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
48. Re: Highway 4

Drove from Nanaimo to Ucluelet yesterday There was about a 20 min wait for a 1 one part of the road - but once we were let go the other direction traffic was also let go so i think they had just been manuvering a big truck. We've hired cars in Nova Scotia, Newfoundalnd and Alberta in the last month or so - every Province has had some road work delays so we weren't concerned

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
57 posts
45 reviews
45 helpful votes
49. Re: Highway 4

It's fully open, I drove it back and forth. It's beautiful, stunning country! Watch out for bears. Thank you all for your help.

Reply to: Highway 4
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.