We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 4

Ontario, Canada
3 posts
Highway 4

How challenging is it travelling to Tofino with highway 4 being 1 way? Deciding if it is worth it or if we should explore other parts of the island. Supposed to be there next week.

49 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
1. Re: Highway 4

It is not one way all the way. there is only one section that was affected by the wildfire damage. That is the problem with the news media not following up on recent conditions

http://www.drivebc.ca will give you what is going on when you show up.

this is a post with an update from a few days ago which is just below your post on the BC forum

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154944-i206-k14435719-Highway_4_update_Tofino_Ucluelet_road-Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44,291 posts
69 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Highway 4

Reports are that its not bad. Delays aren't too extreme. Just pack your patience and leave early. Travelling55 has been providing local updates. Look for their post on the board for more info.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
210 reviews
121 helpful votes
3. Re: Highway 4

Some are reporting as little as 15 minutes delay going west, longer coming from Tofino. Fire is basically out.

Edited: 06 July 2023, 11:23
4. Re: Highway 4

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
167 reviews
142 helpful votes
5. Re: Highway 4

I think lots of regular TA users appreciated islandrockins update :)

The OP is a first time poster and may have no idea how TA works. Hopefully all the links in previous posts will give her a heads up for future questions.

6. Re: Highway 4

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,686 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
7. Re: Highway 4

I doubt if islandrockin is feeling any such thing. Nor are the regulars, I'll bet. Just post the info yourself if you think it will be helpful to this question.

Maybe the regulars have been busy replying to other questions, maybe the regulars have been away from their computers, maybe the regulars have been following completely different forums for the last two hours, maybe the regulars did not open the thread about highway 4 because it's not the focus of their time in the forum, maybe the regulars will see IR'gs post later this evening.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,686 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
8. Re: Highway 4

Hi Kimberley ~

The most recent update to the Drive BC page about traffic on Hwy 4 near Cameron Lake has just been posted up at 3:06 pm today.

==>Highway 4, in both directions. Road maintenance work between Cathedral Grove/MacMillan Prov Park and Koen Rd for 7.0 km (Cathedral Grove). Single lane alternating traffic. Watch for traffic control. Expect delays. Highway open to all vehicles, except for oversized vehicles/loads over 2.6m in width. Oversized vehicles to use detour.<==

As well, the thread that has added some posts as locals go through the 7 km of affected highway is here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154944-i206-k14435719-o20-Highway_4_update_Tofino_Ucluelet_road-Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html

I don't think you need to do anything except expect between 15 and 40 minutes additional time for each direction of traffic to take their turn getting through. Typically westbound in the morning will have more traffic, and eastbound in the afternoon/evening will have more traffic as visitors spend the day on the coast before heading back to Nanaimo or Victoria.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
165 posts
94 reviews
49 helpful votes
9. Re: Highway 4

It took us 28 minutes from joining the back of the stationary queue at the Port Alberni (west) end to leaving the one way section at the other end today - that was around 1pm. When we travelled the other way last week it was exactly the same.

We were worried about traveling over to the west coast too - but it was absolutely fine, just a short delay.

Coombs, Canada
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
347 reviews
153 helpful votes
10. Re: Highway 4

The waits can be five minutes or up to an hour, luck of the draw really. Just add it to your travel time and enjoy the view while sitting in line beside the beautiful Cameron lake. It is really no different from when we had to wait for the one way on the Tofino highway for the past few years.

When are you travelling? The update yesterday said it should open to two way in a couple weeks, so mid July as planned.

I would certainly go if that is a destination you want to see

Reply to: Highway 4
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tofino
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.