We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
35 reviews
Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Would like to drive off the ferry and on our way to the lower 48......

Where would be the best place to stay after a 3 or 4 hour drive from Prince Rupert ?....

Would like to book accommodations ahead of time.....

Thank you so much for any suggestions !

12 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,939 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Smithers BC

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Perfect - We have never been to this area and it helps a lot - Thank you so much !

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,939 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Not a great choice for hotels but you do not want to have supper at the Hudson Bay lodge restaurant if you are staying there unless they changed their menu... Chatters was a great discovery for food. Then you get the regular chain food places.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Does the ferry arrive at about 10pm.

I'd be hesitant to drive all the way to Smithers in the dark. Its a good 4 hours drive, and moose and other big beasts that can hit your car, abound.

Personally I'd stop in Terrace. It is about 1.5 hours from Rupert and is a nice little community with everything you require (we have family there so I know it well) The Best Western is newly renovated and very acceptable, and there is also a brand new Holiday Inn Express which has just opened (I's staying there this weekend)

Then you can enjoy the scenery from Terrace to ?Prince George and on, along the beautiful Skeena River next day.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
213 reviews
5. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Hudson Bay Lodge is pretty basic. (I reviewed it recently) On the south side of Smithers is: http://www.logpilelodge.com/

Edited: 07 July 2016, 07:09
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,265 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

What does "arriving by ferry in the wee hours" mean? I have to agree I'd be reluctant to take on a 4 hour drive in the middle of the night through that territory. I feel Terrace is the better goal if you don't want to just stop in Rupert. The usual route is Rupert > PG 8 hr drive, then PG > Vancouver 10 hr drive.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,748 posts
1 review
7. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Note that OP from from 'laska and no doubt quite accustomed to beasts on the road @ all hours.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

Absolutely. Aren't we all...?

Still don't want to smack into one in the wee hours on a rural highway where there are large gaps in cell coverage.

Port Edward
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

I would recommend spending the night in Prince Rupert and hitting the road in the morning. You don't want to miss the drive from Prince Rupert to Smithers. It is absolutely stunning - towering mountains and beautiful rivers. Most likely one of the best scenic drives around. The passenger train is rated Top 10 in the world for scenic beauty! We recommend to our guests to take their time on this leg, keeping your camera at the ready, then push through from Burns Lake to Lac la Hache. Hope this helps! Happy traveling through beautiful BC.

10. Re: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2017, 06:05

Reply to: Arriving by ferry in the wee hours.....stop for the night ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted