We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
207 posts
39 reviews
Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

We have booked a last minute Alaska Cruise and had wanted to go to the Grizzly Bear Sanctuary in Prince Rupert. Unfortunately the PR Adventure Co. tours all are sold out. Does anyone know of anyone else who does these tours?

Thanks, Bob

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,620 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

An Alaska Cruise???? Alaska Cruises are complete week long packages that leave from Vancouver or Seattle. I don't believe they stop in Prince Rupert. All their ports are in Alaska cities.

Do you mean you are taking BC Ferries from Port Hardy, Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,956 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

mufti google gets me this for tours stopping in PR. They dock in Cow Bay at the centre of town,

cruisecompete.com/vacations/…1

Byoung2

There is no local poster for PR; only a few of the regulars that have visited. My suggestion is to call the PR Adventure Tour Co and ask who else. or call the PR Tourism bureau.

visitprincerupert.com/activities/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,620 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

That's really interesting, cb. Thanks. They look like a small subset of the Alaska cruise offerings, just six sailings in 2016 for one date only. At first I thought those cruises were following the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 which requires a Seattle departing ship to stop in a "foreign" country before returning to Seattle, but a number of those ships depart from Vancouver. Maybe Frommy will pop in to elaborate.

Port Edward
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

If the Khutzeymateen tour is sold out, I can suggest visiting North Pacific Cannery Museum, a National Historic Ste, as a great shore excursion or taking a flight seeing trip with Ocean Pacific Ari. Have a great trip!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,956 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

the North Pacific Cannery is a great suggestion - the tour was informative; they run the canning line which shows how noisy the conditions were at the time. You are allowed to wander around before or after the tour +bring a camera (-:

If you still have time the sunken gardens behind the courthouse is a great place to wander.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
207 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

Thanks for all your comments....we are, in fact, taking an Alaskan Cruise with Regent Cruise Line departing out of Seward Alaska and debarking in Vancouver. Fortunately we were able to get booked on the cruise lines shore tour to Khutezeymateen Valley Grizzly Bear Watch.

Bob

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
113 reviews
7. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

That is a one off type cruise as part of the repositioning process before Seven Sea Mariner commences her regular one-way runs the following week which then do not include PR.

Debark is what you do to a tree - disembark is what you do from a ship.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
207 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

Am glad you told me that.......I might have had one he__of a time disembarking the ship otherwise !!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
113 reviews
9. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

Ha ha. Have a great trip. Assuming you are on the sailing of 25 May, that itinerary is quite unusual in that she does not call at any of the three usual towns of Skagway, Juneau or Ketchikan, but calls instead at Hoonah (ISP) which also is on the regular itineraries of a few lines, Sitka (which I really want to go and see) which only sees two to three ships a week, PR, and then, quite strangely, Victoria before docking at Vancouver.

Prince Rupert...
Level Contributor
308 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Last minute cruise/Prince Rupert

We do get the occasional cruise ship here in Prince Rupert. Another company you cantey is Palmerville tours. Why not try our local chamber of commerce and tourism Prince Rupert. Enjoy your short stay!